Hedwig

My eyes flickered open to the sound of my name being whispered fearfully, I saw that the girls were huddled against each other away from the door once again. My eyes followed the long stream of light that was cast on the floor, up to a shadow that belongs to the cross-legged form of our captor, leaning against the doorframe with a toothy grin.

"My names Hedwig, I have red socks!" His voice was high and carried a heavy lisp. He sat smiling at us for a moment. "He's on the move..!"

"What..?" I ask, slowly sitting up.

"He's on.. the mooove..!" He says again excitedly looking over at the girls.

"Who..?" Claire asks shakily

"I'm not supposed to say!" He said with a proud smile, stretching his arms wide in a shrug and slapping them down in his lap. "But I will say.. he's done awful things to people and he'll do awful things to you!" He says excitedly, "I have blue socks too!"

"How old are you?" I asked inching closer to the end of the bed.

"Nine!" He smiles, sitting up proudly. "You're Luis! Oh Mr. Dennis likes you! He doesn't say it but he said you're pure of somethin'! He doesn't want it to get you! Excedera!" He started crawling over to my bed by walking in a crouch which reminded me of a toddler, and crawled on my bed. "He says he can see it in your eyes! But all I see is green!" He said, sounding mildly disappointed, leaning very close to my face.

He stared at me, suddenly putting his forehead on mine. "You have pretty eyes! I could stare at them all day!" And I thought he would for a second.. but he abruptly pulled back, "I gotta go blow my nose!" He announced, running from the room and slamming the door behind him.

~*~

Since this occurrence, Dennis pulled me from the room often, simply to talk. He seemed to really enjoy sitting with another physical person, though he strictly said these conversations were only for his 'research'.

Hedwig on the other hand came talk to me a lot, and he had no problem telling me how much he liked me. He says he feels like he has a real friend.

And if I'm being honest.. I really enjoyed talking with them as well.. Dennis was cold, and strict at times
but something in me was fascinated with him.. Hedwig was just a refreshing ball of energy in this stressful situation. His visits started bringing a smile to my face and I noticed very quickly that I was beginning to care for him.

Which may only come back to haunt me..