Different

We waiting there, in our little cell, talking occasionally to pass the time. Every one in a while we'd hear a small noise from behind the door, or a small wiggle of the door knob. I told them a few stories of my travels to pass the time and they seemed to be fascinated..

My brother didn't stay in the asylum he was put in originally, he was moved around a lot before he finally escaped. That was about 3 years ago..

Suddenly, as we were all on the verge of sleep, the door creaked open. There stood the original persona who took us, his furrowed brow gazing intently around the room.

"You.." He said pointing a finger at me, and motioning me to come outside. I stood cautiously, keeping my weight focused on the balls of my feet.

"No!" The girls cried, fumbling out of their bed to latch on to me.

"Relax.. I'll give her right back it'll only take a minute.." He said in a tone of annoyance, watching me expectantly.

"Luis we have to-" Claire started but I looked at her, cutting her off.

"Relax.." Something about him said he was telling the truth, he really meant me no harm.. there was.. a sense of fascination hiding in his eyes. "I'll be fine.." I said and pried them away from me, following the man out of the door.

He took me to a kitchen, a firm hold on my forearm as he sat me down in a chair and sat across from me before letting go. I sat calmly, meeting his eyes from across the table.

"You're not running.." He says flatly, he doesn't seem to be questioning or stating this fact.

"I know when to pick my battles.." I said, sitting back slightly in my chair and crossing my arms. I watched as his eyes flicked to my chest, but quickly, almost as if scolding himself he looked away.

"You're different." He says.

"Than the other two..? Yes.. From many? No.." I say watching a clock on the wall tick by.

"You understand us.. Your eyes hold no fear.. Your eyes show the dullness that you've been broken.." I looked at him, without moving a muscle in my body. "You tell them stories about you searching for your lost brother.. Tell me about him.."

"My brother, had D.I.D., just like you I believe.." He tensed slightly, not in fear, in something else that I couldn't particularly read.. "My parents say he suffered, but I don't believe that for a minute.. He had 4 personas.. James, Daniel, Lucy and Matthew, the host. I loved all of them dearly.. James was the protector, Daniel was the typical teenage boy.. Always teasing me, Lucy was the glue who held them together.. she was so collected and kind.. she brightens a room without even trying.. and Matthew, he was scared.. of a lot of things.. things that weren't real.. I think that's what brought these personas to be in the first place.. My parents were scared of him, they never understood that he wasn't crazy, he wasn't sick, he was just different. He could never hurt me but they were always so scared that he would.. so they locked him away in an asylum on his 15th birthday. Now all I do is search for him, no one should be cursed to live a life where they don't believe they're loved.."

The man stared at me, his stuff features relaxed a bit as he listened to my story. "You were an accident.. You weren't meant to be here.. but we can't let you leave, you know too much now.. but for the mean time, my name is Dennis." He said, not even offering a hand to shake.

"And my names-"

"Luis." He interrupted, placing his mouth on his intertwined fingers. "And the woman you met before is Patricia."

I nodded, a moment of silence fell over the room. He stood up abruptly in his chair. "I should get you back to the others.."

"Right.." I said following him from the room and back into the small cell where I was greeted with many undesired questions.