Alone

Dr. Fletcher and I listened to his footsteps thump down the stairs. As they faded I turned to look out the window behind us and watch as he trotted his way down the stone steps, plopping himself down on the last one, watching the passers by.

"I assume you belong to Dennis? He's the alter you consider to be your partner?" She asked, I heard her pen click again and the sound of her turning to a new page.

"Dennis and I have a more romantically intimate relationship yes.." I said, still watching him down below. I should be down there with him.. comforting him..

"You mentioned your brother also lives with D.I.D... Have you ever introduced them?" She asked as she scribbled down something about what I had said before.

"No, my parents sent him to an asylum years ago, and then he was moved around and I'm not sure where he is now." I said slowly shifting so I would be facing her.

"I'm sorry.." She said, setting her pen down to look at me. "Excuse me.. You must be wondering why I asked you to stay.." She said with a small laugh, leaning forward. "I couldn't ask in front of Dennis but.. Are you apart of this? This thing with the Beast?" She asked. I stiffened.

I sat quietly for a minute, unsure how to answer this question.. This could be my last opportunity to save these girls while still remaining trustworthy in Dennis' eyes.. I took a deep breath.

"I didn't tell you.. The whole story as to how I met Dennis.." I said, my palms beginning to sweat. "We didn't just casually bump into each other.." I had to prepare myself.. Why was this so hard? "You might need to get that pen ready Dr. Fletcher.." I said, for some reason tears welling up in my eyes.

She handed me a box of tissues that was close by and I thanked her dabbing the tears.

"I met Dennis.. While approaching him with a knife, in an attempt to defend two young girls he was attempting to kidnap.." I said slowly. Shock overcame the doctors face. She sat in terror for a moment before taking her pen and scribbling that down.

"How are you here? H-how-" She begun but I cut in.

"In the confusion he somehow managed to knock me unconscious.. So I don't remember much from that point.. Now I'm going to have to skim the surface or he'll be waiting on me for hours.." I said my voice becoming steady again as the tears stopped, the initial fear of the act of telling her the story being overcome.

"This Beast as you called it this.. Thing.. is bigger than you, than me, than even him.. Something bad is going to happen soon.." I said, the urgency in my voice growing without my knowledge. Then I realized.. "But doctor I beg you.. Please.. Don't go to the police, don't tell anyone what I've told you.. This thing is real to him and it's making him dangerous but I love this man!" I stopped, the tears returning to my eyes. "But these girls are dying.. They're sweet girls, they're innocent.. I can't let them die.. But Dennis can't know that I've done this.. He won't understand that by me telling you, this is for the sake of everyone.. He could get hurt if he goes through with what I think he is.." I choked a bit from forgetting I needed to breathe. Dr. Fletcher was listening closely, hanging on to my every word.

I looked out the window again to see Dennis still in the same spot now looking at his phone. As I was looking at him I felt the paining realization as to why I hadn't ran to the police in all the opportunities that I had.

"I can't have the two people I've loved most in my life locked away from me.. They're not insane!" I yelled at the floor, I had broken into sobs. All of the pain I felt when I watched as those strangers long ago took away my brother as my parents held me back. I felt like that girl, who was watching the person who she loved most being ripped away from her. "Please don't let this happen to me again Dr. Fletcher.." I said through the tightness of my chest due the the immense amount of emotion I was feeling all at once.

"I'll do what I can Luis.. But I really don't know how to fix this.." She said, putting a hand on my knee, looking at me in a way that was some how comforting.

"I understand.." I said, sniffing and attempting to clean myself back up before I had to face Dennis again. I stood with Dr. Fletcher, "I need to get back to him he's going to worry.." I said smiling to hopefully convince the rest of my face that I hadn't just cried. She nodded at me and I went for the door but right as I touched the handle she spoke.

"I'll poke around to see if I can find anything on your brother.. I have connections practically everywhere.. What's his name?" She asked, I turned to look at her, her words making my heart skip.

"Matthew.. Matthew Augustine.." I breathed, and she smiled.

"And Luis? You keep on loving that man with all that you have.. Don't be afraid because your unsure what your future with him holds.." She said with an encouraging smile.

"I will.." I replied, giving a genuine smile.

I bounded down the stairs, stumbling into the lobby. Though the window in the middle of the door I saw Dennis, sitting there alone with his fingers laced behind his neck. A rush of emotion came over me that I couldn't quite explain.. I ran though the door, throwing my arms around him, making him jump. It probably wasn't the best idea.. But he quickly realized who it was and placed his hands on my forearms that were crossed around his shoulders.

"How are you feeling?" I asked, my face buried in his neck.

"Better now..." He answered with an audible smile.