Hope

A few weeks pass, I'm hopped from doctor to doctor.. Barry and Patricia have on and off been loading me with home remedies on how to have a healthy baby.. It was fun being waited on hand and foot for a couple of days in the beginning but now they were driving me crazy.. Some of the other personalities have been surfacing a lot too.. Though when I'd ask Dennis about it he'd change the subject or busy himself with cleaning..

I had recently gotten a job at a hair salon, I'd managed to get my cosmetology license a little while before I'd met Dennis.. but never had the change to use it.. 

Patricia hated the fact that I chose a job that required me to be on my feet all day. She said it would put stress on the baby.. though I wasn't even far along enough to have much of a baby bump yet.. 

The last client I had taken before my break had been going on about how her and her husband had just gotten a new puppy. She raved about how well he played with the kids and basically how amazing life was with this "little bundle of love and energy!"

I had had a dog before I'd gone to cosmetology school.. But not too long after I'd left I got a call saying he'd run away and we haven't seen him since..

So as I sat in the back, eating my lunch and imagining where I'd like my life to be in five years.. The thought of having a family pet to grow up along side my child or children just started to become more and more appealing..

Dennis had decided to call me when I told him I was on my break, now that I was out of the house and on my own more often I think he was starting to have some separation anxiety..

"Dennis I think I want a dog.." I said as I poked a few bits of my salad on to my fork.

"A dog? Hell no.." He said, without an ounce of hesitation I might add..

"Why not? I thought it'd be nice having a companion when one of us has to be alone at the house.." I said, my heart sinking just a little.

"Luis I'm around messy animals all day as it is.. I don't need to come home to one.. What good will it do anyway? All they do eat, poop, and make a mess.. " He said, I could hear the discomfort in his voice..

"You don't know much about babies do you..?" I said in a monotone voice, rolling my eyes. "Come on.. I had a dog for a good portion of my life! He'd cheer me up during hard times and cuddle with me at night, keep me warm-"

"You've got me for that you're fine.." He cut me off but I continued..

"And soon we'll have a baby! Wouldn't it be a comfort to have a protector of the household?" I asked, hoping to bring a convincing point to the table..

"I'm protector of the household.. Look if you're wanting a pet we can get a fish.. I can handle a fish. It stays in one little area it can't make a mess.. You'd just have to make sure it's bowl stayed clean.." He said, but that wasn't reassuring..

"A fish is practically a plant Dennis.. All you can do is feed it and look at it.. and they usually die in a couple days anyway!" I said, fake smiling as a co-worker walked in and gave me a funny look..

"Oh no-no plants either they just track dirt.. Ugh.. Tell you what.. I'll think about it okay but I'm not making any promises.. " He said, I could practically see him rubbing the bridge of his nose.. Suddenly another voice chimed in.