Recovery

I woke up later not even remembering when I feel asleep. My body immediately felt completely incapsulated in pain.. I let out a hoarse, exhausted, pained whine. My throat was extremely dry and my mouth was sticky..

Dennis was no longer holding me, he was laying next to me about a foot away, dressed in his night clothes with his back turned on me. When he heard my whine he started to stir.

I started breathing heavily uncontrollably, which hurt like all hell some of my ribs were definitely bruised if not broken.. A little girl like Marcia packed a surprisingly good punch..

Dennis turned his head over to look at me tiredly but upon realizing I was awake and in pain he jumped up with a start. He rushed over to my side of the bed, picking up the glass of water and holding the straw to my lips as he set me up as gently as he could.

"Hey it's alright.. You're okay.. Try not to breathe like that.. The pain killers must have worn off I'm so sorry.." That wasn't Dennis.. Or Patricia.. I don't think I'd met this persona before..

They must have noticed the look in my eyes because they looked a bit frazzled.. "Oh I'm sorry, I don't think we've met.. My names Barry.. Dennis had to step back for a bit, he was exhausted.." I nodded, finishing what was left in the cup of water.

"I'll get you some more of this.. And pain killers.. How many did Dennis give you the first time?" He asked, I liked Barry, he had a sort of down to earth comfort about him..

"Two.." I said in a hoarse voice, coughing a little afterwards, which sent shock waves though my body.

He saw me cringe and gave a concerned look. "I'll give you three this time.. It's always worse the second day.." He said with a nod and left the room, coming back in record time on hurried feet.

I took the medicine and drank my fill of the water, allowing myself to settle back into the pillows. Barry sat down at my feet.

"I know you don't know me well.. But I feel like I know you plenty.. Dennis and Hedwig talk about you a lot, about how great you are.. So if you won Dennis over there's gotta be something super special about you.." He said with a smile, squeezing my foot a little though the covers. "I mean.. you threw yourself in front of Patricia.. and she's the hardest to get a long with.." He said though gritted teeth playfully. I let out a breathy laugh.

"Don't let her hear you say that.." I said softly, he laughed. Looking at his feet, his shoulders suddenly going tense nervously.

"So.. We've talked about it a bit.. and uh.. I think once you're feeling better.. We want you to meet Dr. Fletcher.." He said timidly, looking up at me with a nervous smile.

"That's your psychiatrist right..?" I asked, he nodded. "I'd love to meet her Barry.." I said, giving him a smile. His face lit up.

"That's great.." He said with a breathy laugh. "She's getting kinda old you see.. I think she'd be glad to know there's someone here for us.. If something you know.. Ever happens.." My stomach dropped a little..

"I'm no psychiatrist Barry.." I said, averting my eyes from him.

"I just mean you're here that's all.. We're not alone.. Ya know?" He said, looking like he felt guilty for even suggesting it. "Well.. You need to get some rest.." He said standing to walk back to his side of the bed, getting comfortable under the covers again with his back to me. "Goodnight."

"Goodnight.." I whispered back, staring at the ceiling for a moment before closing my eyes.

~*~

It felt like I had only shut my eyes for a moment before I was ripped out of my slumber by an awful pain in my stomach. The medicine hadn't warn off so the pain in my stomach was all my mind could focus on.