Chapter 7: That butler, oblivious

"I hope your wish would come true, brother."

Jim smiled at the memory of his young brother's voice.

Luka was the only person he valued more than his own life. He was the person who only understood him. And the only one who gave him the reason to live. Without Luka, his life had no color. But the fire took his brother away from him.

Slowly and painfully, the blonde can still sense the soul of his brother creeping on the village. He remembered how his cold lifeless eyes twinkled in the moonlight. Even so, his brother died happy and innocent.

Grey clouds formed in the sky followed by a clap of thunder. Jim flinched when and drizzle of rain landed on his nose. He reached a few piles of fallen debris and squeezed his small body underneath them. He's been making a living of what remained in the burnt village. His sanity has dropped low 'caused by lack of food and having no one to talk to. Sometimes, he would see an apparition of Luka. He'd play with him all day long only for him to disappear like a phantom.

Tears were the boy's only company day and night. Loneliness lingered around the boy. No one passed through the cursed village. He was alone.... abandoned.

The rain turned into cloudburst sending shivers down the blonde's spine. He outgrew his ten year old clothes which was stained with dirt. Thunder rang his ears. He winced, afraid of the terrorizing sound. Not knowing what else to do, Jim drifted off to sleep.

"Hush little, baby. Don't you cry. Mommy's gonna make you feel all right."

Jim's mother was the loveliest woman he had ever seen in the world. She had golden curly hair that hung by her shoulders. Her fair skin glowed in the sunlight. And people were tranquilized by her soothing voice. They often mistook her for an opera singer.

"Sweet heart, I'm home!"

Jim's father walked into the living room. He had a very busy day at work for his skin was pale. Nevertheless, he never failed to cheer up. He planted a kiss on his wife's cheek and ran his hands on her womb.

"How's our dear Luka?"

"Lively as usual. I think he'd be a great athlete when he grows up," she giggled.

The father's smile grew wider when he saw Jim playing with his toys on the couch. He picked the toddler and showered him with kisses.

"Fa-Father, that tickles!"

Jim's father took out a teddy bear from his bag and gave it to his son. Jim embraced it delightedly.

"It's so adorable. Thank you so much, Father!"

Suddenly, Jim felt tiredness overwhelm him. He yawned and his father picked him up. His parents laid him carefully on the crib.

"Even if the world has let you down, don't forget to turn that frown upside down," his father sang.

He yawned once again. His mother clasped his hands and continued to sing the lullaby.

"Hush, little baby. Don't you fret. Mommy's gonna make you all forget. The bad things your blue eyes have seen, will all be gone once you fall asleep."

That was the last time Jim has ever been happy. That was the last time his parents sang him a lullaby. Belonging to an average family, his parents had to work for a living. His relatives didn't give a crap about them. But one day, his parents never came back home. According to some folks, the ship they boarded to get to a business trip named the Campanian, sank, leaving Jim and Luka to survive on their own.

"Oi, look at him. This lad couldn't be older than twelve. The Earl would definitely love a fresh one this time."

Jim's eyes shot open. Panic penetrated his whole body as two strong arms picked him up.