Chapter fourteen

A few months have passed since the incident where Kaylee had to put, her mate, and alpha Spencer in their place, and in present time, it was a cool spring day, and a couple of minutes to dawn. Kaylee was downstairs, and uad just entered the kitchen, the delicious scent of breakfast food teasing her nose. The chefs of the temporarily combined packs were cooking in the kitchen; and a grin formed on her face. As soon as the chefs realized her presence, all eyes immediately clicked to her, and all stopped what they were previously doing, and paid attention.

"Hello alpha!" Nicolette, the head chef of Midnight Dusk, greeted, in her slight French accent. "Good morning, Nicolette. Can you prepare a picnic basket for me? I am going into the mountainside for the day!" Nicolette looked ecstatic, and a grin that reached her eyes, popped up, onto her face.

"Yes ma'am!" She turned around near immediately, and narrowed her eyes at the other cooks. "What are you all standing around for?!" She demanded, "alpha is going out for the day, and you all are still standing doing nothing?! Get back to work!!" She snarled, as she grabbed a baguette, out of the bread bowl, and started calling out orders, threatening to beat the other chefs on the head if they didn't make the food tasty enough. I coughed awkwardly, as I looked at the extremely passionate chef, and walked out of the kitchen, and over to the large living room on the west side of the house; where she spotted Claire.

"Good morning Claire! I am going to go on an exploration of the mountain area around here, and I am placing you as temporary alpha for the day, in my place." I said, in a business like tone, looking at her. She nodded, in response to my statement. "Yes, alpha. I will report anything out of the ordinary to you, if any." She replied.

"Thank you." I said, and walked out, and nearly immediately, Nicolette ran up to me; a large basket full of food, in her hands. I took the basket from her, and grinned, placing a gentle hand on her upper right arm. "Thank you chef, have a good day. Tell me if Spencer, or my mate act up again." I said, jokingly. She laughed at the obvious joke, and nodded.

"Of course! I'll beat them with a baguette if they do as well!" She said, causing me to burst out laughing. "Please do!" I glanced at a clock on the wall, and then shifted my gaze back to the chef. "Well I should get going; I will see you later!" I said, with a grin, beginning to walk out of the house.

Once outside, I put the basket down, and shifted, stretching out my tense muscles. "It has been a while since we have shifted and had a proper run with time to ourselves; hasn't it Kaylee?" Midnight yipped, in excitement. "Indeed it has, my friend." I agreed, as I picked the basket up in my jaws, and took off, in a run.

I sighed, in happiness, as I felt the wind flow through my fur. I gave full control to Midnight, and she pushed all four legs quicker, closing in the distance between us, and the start of the mountain. As we began to climb the mountainside, Midnight began to leap from side to side, in order to avoid the trees as we passed by them quickly. We ran up the rocky slope, and glanced back once, seeing as rocks tumbled down the side of the mountain, as our claws dug them loose from the ground.

In what seemed like moments, we soon came to the top of the mountain, into a grassy meadow, full of white flowers, with willow, and pine trees in mini patches, here and there. A small creek, coursing through the middle of the meadow. I took back control, from a grateful Midnight, and trotted over to the creek, placing the food basket, by my side. I leaned my head down, and began to drink the clear, wonderfully crisp water, closing my eyes slightly, listening to the sound of the creek, and woodland animals move through the meadow. In seconds however, I was on the defensive, as a roar pierced through the skies.

I growled, and looked over the field, until it dawned on me what the creature the roar came from, actually was, and immediately calmed down, peering up into the sky. I saw as a large patch of clouds, broke, and a creature, the color of silver, and blue; standing at a magnificent size of about two, perhaps even three skyscrapers, flew through, and landed onto the ground; the ground underneath its massive feet shaking slightly. I gave a wolf smile, and shifted back to human form. "Hello, Alistair, its been years my friend. How have you been?" I asked, the great winged reptile.