Chapter Twenty Three - Gift

Right now, Harley and Jack are at his club. I'm still at the warehouse getting ready for a little outing of my own. Twice in one day I'm sneaking out, new record. Tonight I'm going out to one of the jewellery stores in town to go get Harley and Jack a little gift. It's no special occasion or anything, I just want to give them something. I had called the store owner about two hours ago and told him what I wanted, and he told me it you'll be ready around now. So that's my plan for tonight. I put my guns in my holster and a few knives in my pockets, then headed outside. Instead of driving or skating to the city, I decided I am going to fly. I spread out my wings and lifted myself up into the air. The feeling of the wind rushing past me, its indescribable. I did a few loops on the way, then in about five minutes I had arrived. The dude who works here left the shop open just for me, only because I told him who I am and said that if they weren't ready by this time I would kill him. God what's happening to me, I'm starting to sound like Jack. And that can't be a good thing. I opened the door and walked in, and there was two bags on the counter. No one else was in here, and the alarms aren't on. So I guess this guy took my threat seriously. Good. I walked over to the bags and looked in them both. Yep, it's all right. In one bag is Harley's new choker, and in the other is Jack's new ring. And they both look even more amazing than I imagined them. Apparently this is Gotham's best jewellery store, and I agree. I grabbed the bags and flew back outside. I wasn't in a hurry to go back, knowing the others won't come back for a while, so I'll just have some me time I guess.

I flew up to one of the buildings and sat on the edge of the roof top. I looked down onto the city, it's so quite and beautiful at night. Only problem is that's when the Bat comes out. I haven't had very many run ins with Batman, because I have a certain way of doing things. Get in, grab whatever it is I'm stealing or kill whoever I'm killing, then get out. Simple. If only other criminals would do that, they wouldn't have to fight Batman. Suddenly I heard a thud come from behind me. I turned around and saw a tall dark figure with pointy ears walking towards me. I jinxed myself didn't I? I quickly pulled out my gun and pointed it at him. "Calm down Angel, I'm not here to fight. I only want to talk to you." He said plainly as he stood next to me. I know he knows I have wings, so I'm not afraid to fly away. But if he wants to talk about something, I guess I could hear him out. "What is it?" I asked as I put my gun away. I know I should keep it out in case he tries something, but I trust him. When he says he's not here to fight, I know he means it. "It's about you. Rumour has it you joined the circus." How does he...what? "How do you know? But anyway, why do you care?" I asked, turning to face him properly. He sighed and looked back at me. "Because Angel, its dangerous there. We both know that." He said in a deep voice. Why does he care? I'm sure he'd be happy if Jack killed me. One less criminal to deal with.  "Don't trust him Angel." He said. "Don't make the same mistake Harley did." And with that, he pulled out his grappling hook, shot it across to the building across from us and jumped off. Okay then, that just happened. I decided to just shake it off and head back home. I didn't want to risk him changing his mind and coming back to send me to Arkham.

I quickly flew back to the warehouse, and just in time too, cause just as I closed the front door behind me I heard Jack's car pull up. I quickly ran upstairs and hid the bags under my bed. I would have put them somewhere a little more secure, but I was kinda in a hurry. I ran back downstairs and into the kitchen, then Harley and Jack walked in. "Oh shut up Harley I'm having a bad day." Jack growled as he walked past the kitchen and into his office. Harley shrugged her shoulders and walked over to me. "Hi ya Puddin, what you been doing?" She asked as I sat on the bench top and she sat at one of the stools. Oh you know, just went into town and got you a present, ran into the Bat and he warned me about staying here. So yea nothing much. "Oh, nothing." I said, shrugging my shoulders. "Right." She raised an eyebrow and nodded slowly. "So you had dinner yet? I'm starving." She asked as she walked over to the pantry and opens it. "Actually I'm not hungry. I'm gonna head up to bed. Night." I got off the bench and walked out of the kitchen. I walked up the stairs, down the hallway and into my room. I had a real quick shower and changed into my pyjamas. I flopped down onto my bed and fell into a well deserved slumber. I wasn't going to give them their gift quite yet, I'm going to wait until the plan is over and I... leave.

I woke up to my door bursting open. "Get up." I heard Jack say in an angry tone. Yea this can't be good. "Jack? What the heck-" "I said get up!" I was cut off by him now shouting at me. I quickly got out of bed and walked over to him. He grabbed my arm and dragged me downstairs and into his office. His grip really hurt, and I'm gonna be it'll leave a bruise. Once we got inside his office he dragged me over to the metal table, lifted me up and placed me on it. He then forced me to lay down and he then strapped me to the table. Oh crap this can't be good, I still remember last time he did this to me. "Jack, what are you doing?" I asked frantically, but in a bit of a lazy tone since I had just been woken up and it was about 1 in the morning. "Punishing you." He said plainly, as if saying 'hello' or 'bye'. "P-punishing me? Why?" I asked, my voice shaky. He then started laughing at my question. It sent shivers down my spine, and not in the good way. "Don't act stupid Angel. You snuck out today. Not once, but twice!" He shouted at me, getting right in my face. How does he know? I only told Harley about me leaving that morning, and I know she would never tell him I left. And no one knew I left last night, so how did he know I snuck out? "How do you know?" I asked in almost a whisper. His laughter grew louder and louder. "I thought you where smarter than that doll face. The new phone I gave you, I put a tracking device in it." He explained as he walked over to the bench. I heard him pick up something, something metal. And I now exactly what that something is. Electric shockers. "I'm very disappointed in you Angel." He said before turning on the shockers and placing them on my temples. I screamed in pain but no noise came out. "You...promised." I whispered before falling unconscious.