Chapter Eighteen

"What? No way!" Ryland scoffed.

I laughed. "Yes way. After I tried to run I became the beta female of the Night pack," I told him.

He shook his head, staring at me in amazement. "I'm so proud of you Roxie. Even after being stuck on the bottom for years, you managed to come out on top."

I smiled and let my head rest on his shoulder. My eyes searched the horizon, but I wasn't sure what I was looking for.

"Rox?"

I turned to look at him. "Yeah?"

"Never mind."

His green eyes were everywhere except my face. When he stayed silent I sat up and turned my whole body towards him. "Ry, what is it?" I asked slowly.

He looked down at the ground. He chewed on the inside of his cheek and cracked his neck. Then he shook his head.

"I've known you for a very long time Ryland, and I can tell when you're hiding something important from me," I growled.

"If Alpha Thayne ever found out . . ." he trailed off. He suddenly closed his eyes and shuddered.

My eyebrows furrowed. "Is it really that bad?"

"His punishments are more brutal than his father's ever were," he muttered.

I stared at him. I didn't remember Ryland ever being afraid of anything, but at that moment he looked absolutely terrified.

"Okay, well he will never find out. I'm better at keeping secrets than you are," I said, placing my hand on his arm.

He stayed quiet for several minutes before finally sighing. "I found my mate."

My eyes widened and I gasped. "Wait seriously?" I shrieked.

He nodded making me grin and squeal. "Oh my goddess that's amazing Ry!" I laughed, hugging him tightly.

He shrugged, his face suddenly somber. "Not really. She's a rogue, so Alpha Thayne would kill her and imprison me if he ever found out," he explained. "He hates rogues as much as his father, maybe even more."

My face fell. I closed my eyes, holding my head in my hands. I shook my head when Ryland's arm pulled me against his side. I didn't want to believe it; how could I end up with such a cruel mate?

"My mate is going to be the best mate ever! He'll love me forever and make me so happy!" I announced.

My mother chuckled, smoothing down the hair on my head. "Absolutely sweetie, and he's going to be handsome, and kind, and he'll always protect you," she told me.

I snuggled deeper under the covers. "And don't forget funny. Liam said my mate will do anything to make me laugh."

"You have the most beautiful laugh Roxanne, so I wouldn't doubt it one bit." She tapped my nose and I let out a giggle.

"And you know what else?" she asked. I looked up at her with big eyes. "I bet your mate will be a big, powerful alpha. One that will do anything and everything for his luna."

"One that will do anything and everything for his luna," I whispered under my breath.

Ryland put his hand on my shoulder. I opened my eyes and quickly wiped the tears from my cheeks.

"I'm sorry Roxie, I didn't mean to upset you," he said.

I shook my head. "It's not you," I muttered, my voice cracking, "I just remembered something my mom told me."

***

"No."

"Please!"

"Are you kidding me? No!"