Chapter Fourteen

"It won't be long before I'm killing people in an attempt to get back to him."

My hands were shaking at the thought of accidentally killing Xavier.

"How did he mark you? I thought you rejected each other."

"Turns out you can't actually reject someone. You can just weaken the bond. But now that he's marked me, he strengthened the bond again. Now he's my mate again."

Xavier cursed under his breath, running a hand through his hair. I could feel the mark throbbing, pulsing with pain.

"You have to put me in the prison, you know how powerful a mate bond is. I'm not strong enough to resist it forever and you can't let me go back to him, please don't let me go back to him," I pleaded.

His face twisted in what seemed to be pain. "I can't put you in prison Roxie, I promised I would never do that to you," he whispered weakly.

My eyes watered and my lip trembled slightly. "Please Xavier, I wouldn't be able to bear it if I hurt someone, especially you."

He pulled me into his arms and I rested my head on his chest. I waited for the familiar warmth to surround me, but it never did.

His embrace felt different, I no longer enjoyed his touch. His skin on mine was almost repulsive.

Instantly my hatred for Thayne returned, stronger than before. The bastard ruined my life.

***

I let out a low growl as he walked into the prison. He stood a few feet in front of my cell and I could feel my eyes turn purple.

"Let me out," I growled.

"You know I can't do that Roxie," he said, his voice thick with emotion.

I slammed my hands against the bars, making a terrible clanging noise echo through the prison. I watched as he flinched and took a step back.

"Get me the fuck out of here!" I snarled, shaking the bars violently. They were almost as loose as the ones in my old cell even though I had only been in it for two days, I was in the other one for over a week.

He looked nauseous as he watched me. I knew why; I saw my reflection in my water this morning. My face was coated in a sheen of sweat, my eyes were dilated and red and my canines were sharpened. I looked crazed and ill.

"Roxanne if you sit down and stay quiet, I will take you to your mate," he muttered.

I felt the pain in my neck subside for just a moment when he said those words. I sat down on the cot, a grin creeping onto my face.

I glanced down at myself. I could see my bones through my yellowing skin. I had been too worried about my mate to eat or drink.

My clothes were tattered and I was covered in bruises and injuries from trying to escape. I needed my mate to stop the pain.

I heard a resounding bang and I recognized the pack doctor walking down the stairs. He walked over to Xavier, his eyes widening as he looked at me.

"Oh my goddess," he breathed in shock.

"The mate that rejected her, marked her almost two weeks ago. It's taking a toll on her," he muttered.

The doctor nodded. "I've never seen anything like this," he said, taking a step closer to my cell.

"What do you mean?" he asked.

"Well I've seen this many times over the course of my life, but never this bad. Her mate must be really powerful to have this kind of effect on her."

"Her mate is Alpha Derek Thayne of our neighboring pack," he told him and the doctor let out a heavy sigh.

"In that case, I'm surprised she isn't dead."

"Dead? What the hell are you talking about?"

The doctor moved to stand beside him again. "The Thayne family has a very powerful bloodline. Thaddeus was her father's beta but rumor has it he used to be an alpha of a pack that was destroyed, so there's a good chance his family has plenty of alpha blood.

"Honestly if Roxanne wasn't of alpha blood as well, she would probably be dead right now. Their bond is stronger than any I've ever seen, in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Thayne is feeling the effects too," he sighed.

I leaped to my feet and grabbed ahold of the bars. "Hey! Where's my mate? You said he was coming!" I snarled.

"He's on his way now," Xavier sighed.

I settled back down onto the cot, my eyes narrowing at him. "Is there any way to fix this?" He whispered making me growl a little.

"Only her mate can fix this, and if he doesn't, Roxanne is going to die."

***

I continued banging my head against the wall, trying to stop the desire for Thayne that filled my mind. Blood was trickling down my face but I didn't feel any pain.

"Roxanne stop!" I heard Xavier yell.

"Fuck you! Bring me my mate!" I snarled, whipping around to face him.

My wolf had control over most of my mind and everyday it was getting harder and harder to hold him back. Every time I got Thayne out of my head or managed to remember that he was a complete asshole, my wolf immediately filled my head with desire.

"I told you he's on his way," he said. His voice sounded broken, and he looked at me with pain in his eyes.

"You keep saying that but he still isn't here!" I growled, banging my fists against the bars. They vibrated for several seconds after and the sound made Xavier wince.

His eyes glazed over for a moment then he stared at me wistfully. "He is now."

A delicious scent suddenly filled my nose and it sent my wolf into a frenzy. My canines sharpened further, biting into my lip.

My vision sharpened and I knew my eyes had changed color completely. I felt a powerful presence grow, making my gaze snap towards the entrance to the prison.

A tall, muscular figure came into view, an arrogant smirk on his face as his eyes met mine. "I told you I'd see you soon."