chapter twenty three.

The baby blue wall started to become blurry as Ashton's eyes filled with tears. He shook so hard that he could barely find the strength to reply back.
"He wants you with him." The chilling phrase stung like lemon juice in your eyes, like sanitizer in a paper cut, but worse. It stung like a fresh burn, it stung like the feeling of realizing the person you adore will be gone in the matter of days; no. hours. Before he could take a deep breath, he threw on his rugged vans and ran out the door once again. He ran, and ran, for what it seemed like forever until he reached the bus stop where he anxiously waited, biting his worn down nails.
-
Before the air from the doors opening let out, he ran onto the bus, practically throwing the worn coins at the driver. Finally, he found the strength to send a text back to Liz.
"I'm on my way."
Running wasn't too hard when you had somewhere to go, especially when it has to deal with your heart, your everything. He ran pass the opened iron gate, not even phased by the pebbles being lodged into his shoe one by one. Ashton knocked on the door ferociously, waiting to hear the lock click and the door swung open. After an eternity, Liz greeted the anxious boy with dark bags under her eyes. "Come in. He's in his bedroom." She let out an effortless sigh as he quickly went ahead of her slow walk. "Luke? Baby? Luke.... Luke... please...." He helplessly cried out, searching for him everywhere. In a raspy, tired voice, he replied. "Right here." He stopped in his tracks and ran in the voices direction. Quickly entering the room, he wish he took more time to let the sight sink in.
-
There luke laid, peacefully in freshly washed pearl sheets. The chair was nowhere to be seen, the room reeked of Sandalwood incense, his favorite kind. "Come. Closer." He let out a faint cough, not even making an effort to stare at Ashton as he approached him. "How are you feel-"
"Fine." Luke retorted, cutting him off mid sentence. Ashton nodded, trying not to become emotional within less than two minutes being in his presence. "Did you eat today?" He spoke softer this time, reaching for his cold hand. "Not hungry. Too weak." He said as he let out a forced quiet laugh under his breath. Ashton proceeded to bite down hard on his bottom lip, feeling the tears surface in his tear ducts. "You know...you don't have to do this." He choked. "Oh, but Irwin. Yes I do. You don't know how happy I finally am, this is the day I have been waiting for since the bloody accident occurred." He spoke in his same thick Australian accent he's always had. Accepting his defeat, Ashton let the tears flow down his cheeks, not caring about the ugly noises that followed. "No. Stop it right now. Listen to me." Luke said through gritted teeth, becoming ready eyed himself. He slowly turned around to face the blue eyed beauty. "You will go on without me, you will live a beautiful life, and you won't have to worry about the limitations of a husband with severe paralysis would bring you. You are strong, Irwin." He swallowed sharply, letting a single tear roll down his slightly rose tinted cheek. With every word that came out of his mouth, Ashton fell apart even more. Almost if a seam ripper ripped each stitch of his heart, one at a time.
-
After moments of uninterrupted sobbing, he found the courage to lay his heavy head on Luke's rising, then falling chest. "Please, please Luke don't go." He pleaded to Luke. "Shhh...let it go." He whispered softly, biting the inside of his cheek in order to stop the constant tears from getting heavier. Time passed, but the begging didn't. After fifteen minutes of prodding Luke, he snapped. "Don't do this to me Ashton. Don't you dare do this to me; Don't-don't you leave me with this being the last memory of us. Us fighting, you-you repeating yourself so many bloody times i've lost count." Ashton was overwhelmed with emotions. The anger, the heartbreak, the constant stinging sensation, the betrayal. "Please." He gave it his final attempt of changing Luke's mind. Luke shut his eyes, blocking out every sound that filled the room. The chatter of his parents, the static from the low volume radio, the chairs battery pack alerting that it was low and the worst sound of all, the crying coming from the man of his dreams.
-
"Ashton?" He spoke, his voice cracking with emotion.
-
-
"Please, go get my parents."