chapter ten.

"What's making you so depressed?" The therapist sighed as she looked at both boys. Ashton was here for...well...being Luke's caregiver he has to go everywhere with him, but also moral support. He wanted to know what really goes inside Luke's head, what luke doesn't tell him. "I'm not." Luke retorted sternly. The cinnamon scented candles' aroma filled the room, the untouched tissue box sat in the middle of the mahogany table. Action figures and puzzles with God knows how many pieces missing sits in a wick basket on the rugged carpet and books about every mental illness line the shelves. The therapist tapped her pen against a marble notebook dedicated to only Luke. "Luke, we are here for you. You don't have to be quiet, this is a judge free zone." Luke rolled his eyes, and began to speak. "Let me see...why I'm depressed you ask? Well, let's take a wild guess shall we?-" "Luke. Stop being fresh. Please." The therapist spoke calmly. "Basically, I'M depressed because I'm stuck, right? Stuck in what you ask? This.  Fucking. Chair. I can no longer make my own meals, or brush my own teeth, or-" "Luke. I said that's enough." She hissed at him. "I CAN'T DO ANYTHING BUT BASICALLY SIT IN THIS GODDAMN THING, AND BREATHE, AND EXIST. AND YOU HAVE THE NERVE TO ASK ME, WHY IM DEPRESSED?" His voice cracked as a single tear rolled down his pale cheek. Ashton could tell he was tired. Not just physically, but mentally as well. The therapist sat in shock, she stopped tapping and scribbled down a note. "Here." She handed to Ashton, with a blank face, not daring to look over to Luke. "Pick that up at the bookstore. Make him read it. Come back...but to a different therapist." She motioned towards the door. Ashton held it open as Luke rolled his way through. "You know.." Ashton turned around once Luke was on the other side. "You really didn't have to be a bitch to my boyf-FRIEND." Bile rose in Ashton's throat as he was hoping nobody heard his stutter. He swallowed hard and slammed the door.
-
"How To Make The Most Out Of What You Have?" Luke laughed as he read the book title the therapist recommended. Ashton smiled into the rear view mirror at Luke as he was driving towards the bookstore. "We could get that...or...we could rent a movie..." Ashton winked and made sure Luke saw it. "I'm in the mood for horror..."
"What about..."
"The Shining?" The two boys spoke in unison, followed by a gasp. Luke softly smiled, and looked down to avoid blushing. This is the first time in a while that Ashton saw Luke genuinely happy.
-
They arrived at Target, Ashton walked alongside Luke the whole time, never once embarrassed to be seen with him. "So, you promise me you took all your meds today with Cal?" Ashton spoke as he scanned for the electronics isle. "Yes, mum. I promise." Luke was always sarcastic, when he was in the mood to be funny, it was dry humour, and Ashton loved every minute of it. He scoffed as he turned into the movie section. The isles were thankfully wide enough for Luke's chair to fit through and not get stuck. Ashton looked up and down at titles, until he got to the S section. He looked back at Luke and frowned. "What's wrong Luke?" He walked towards him. "Ashton... I think I forgot my seizure medication..." His blue eyes stared at Ashton with worry. Ashton made sure the buckle was tight in case anything were to happen. "Okay, well...deep breaths, and-and we'll go home, alright?" He softly smiled and rubbed his hand. Without warning, Luke's head fell and he started jerking. His eyes closed shut as his head slammed against the headrest in a violent motion. He whined, in pain. In confusion. Ashton prayed it would end soon. He couldn't move, even during a seizure.
-
"It ended within two minutes." Ashton grabbed an ice pack out of the fridge as he spoke to Luke. "Really?" Luke furrowed his brows and let out a confused "hmm". Ashton placed the ice pack on the back of Luke's head, where the bruise was only visible if you were centimeters away from the back of his head. Luke gasped from the sensation, but adjusted to it very quickly. The boys watched the movie without saying a word to each other. Both of them were sucked in, wondering what would happen next to the family who stayed in a Colorado hotel by themselves for many months. After a long silence, Luke whispered. "Hey...Ashton?" He side eyed Ash since he couldn't turn his head. "Yes?" He looked up so it made it easier for luke. "I...I was wondering if.....if you wanted to....go for a walk to the pond tomorrow? It's supposed to be a very nice day." He half smiled and waited for a response. "Of course! That sounds like an awesome plan Luke!" Ash smiled as he put the CD back in its case. Luke weakly smiled as he mentally kicked himself for not saying the right thing. He prepared himself for days, but he blew it. He quietly sighed as he recited it back in his head.
"Ashton? Would you like to be my boyfriend?"
-
-
A/N wow, almost 800 reads, that's amazing! Thank you all so so much, I hope you're enjoying it!