chapter eight.

A week passed and nothing got better. In fact, things only went downhill. Luke refused to eat. It was a struggle getting him out of bed, he was in excruciating pain constantly, Inside and out. Ashton could physically feel his heart tearing apart, seeing luke in pain was the worst thing. As the days dragged on followed by sleepless nights, an idea came to Ashton. With a broad smile, he walked into lukes house the next day with a surprise up his sleeve.
-
Every morning was deja vu for Ashton. The routine rarely changed. It consisted of dressing Luke, preparing breakfast, changing his catheter and brushing his fluffy blonde hair. He entered the room and found Luke with a resting frown, as usual. "Good morning Luke! Rise and shine!" Ashton spoke in a cheerful tone. Luke let out a long sigh. "What's the purpose of getting me out of bed if I sit in my chair all day and return straight back to my bed at night." Luke retorted. Ashton scratched his head and pulled out an envelope from his back pocket. "A-about that! Here... let's open it together, shall we?" He sat on the edge as he took Luke's cold hand. He slowly tore the envelope to reveal two tickets to a football game, it happened to be Luke's favorite team. Luke's told Ashton about the Sydney Swans multiple times, his face filled with color as he blushed. Ashton remembered. Luke was speechless, he always wanted to attend a game, but his father was always busy and his mum was rarely home. He was in shock, the good kind for once. He wanted to jump up and hug Ashton, tears of joy started spilling down his face.
-
"Luke? W-we don't have to go if you don't want to!" Ashtons smile transformed into a worried frown, but realized luke was overwhelmed with joy. He hugged the small boy, careful to not squeeze or hurt his fragile body. As Luke sported his Swans jersey carefully picked out by Ashton, he opened the front door and smelled the stagnant but beautiful pre-fall air. He made sure luke successfully made it down the ramp before unlocking the car. He silently cheered, he got Luke Hemmings to smile and go outside. Next on his list,
-
was a date.
-
The car ride there was rather smooth, Luke was so filled with excitement he temporarily forgot he was confined to a wheelchair, the reality came crashing down when Ashton pulled into the blue painted parking spot with the sign "HANDICAPPED PARKING." Ashton escorted Luke into the arena, and made their way in free of any hassle. Ashton rested Luke's ticket on his thigh and the pair proceeded to sit in the handicap designated area. It was rather high up, but it was suitable for a wheelchair as big as Luke's. As they got settled, Ashton moved the plastic chair over closer to Luke. He wanted to make his move slowly, he wanted to call luke his. As the game started, cheering erupted from the crowd. Thousands of fans stood as tensions rose, Luke smiled and tried his hardest to look down at the field. Ashton observed luke, he loved seeing him happy, which was a rare occurrence. After a long anxiety filled twenty minutes, the Swans scored a goal. Everyone was on their feet, Ashton chose to sit to make luke feel more comfortable. "What do you think Luke?" Ashton screamed, as his eyes met Luke's. Luke nodded with his facial expressions since he couldn't do it physically, his smile somehow got wider and took up his whole face, dimples and everything. Ashton felt it was the perfect moment, as everything was in a rush.
He stared at luke with big green eyes, reached over and rested his hands on the armrests. He leaned in and planted a warm kiss,
-
right on Luke's soft lips.