90 days to love - Chapter 18

Start from the beginning

‘Lara we need to get you to Jared now’ He says through gritted teeth. He swoops down and carefully lifts me from the floor; it’s such an easy movement you’d think I was a feather. He’s gentle enough to avoid my sore rib.

‘Iron what’s happening’ My voice is high-pitched and teeming with anxiety.

‘Look, we just have to get there now’ He says curtly. He’s holding back information that could be vital.

He activates the control pad and enters his name for the voice identity. The control pad buzzes in rejection and the light flashes crimson red.

‘Authorised personnel only’ The monotonous voice blares out of the speaker, reading off the words inscribed on the door.

‘Dammit’ Iron curses under his breath.

‘Let me try’ He sets me on the floor and I clasp at my stomach before activating the control pad. I push my tangled hair out of my face so it falls messily behind my shoulders. ‘But first, what are you hiding from me?’

Iron heaves a sigh. ‘Lara, I’m doing this for your own good. We have to get there now!’ He exclaims. I shake my head and he growls with irritation.

‘Lara, you have to activate the control pad now’ He says lowly; dangerously.

‘Why?’

‘Just do it’ He yells.

I fold my arms gently over my chest. ‘No’ I reply softly. My defensive stance forms a barrier as Iron draws up to his full height; a dark storm brewing in his eyes.

‘Lara we have to go now’

‘Tell me why’ I whine. Iron reaches the end of his tether and snaps.

‘Because goddamit, if we don’t move now we won’t make it time Lara. Jared has less than 5 minutes to live’ Iron explodes before me and I cower back.

‘Wait what?’ I whisper.

‘That fall you had, that’s the ‘Pulga’. It’s the final five minute warning where the bond sends the Caritas it’s the last warning. Jared’s got minutes Lara’ He bursts. The blood drains from my face.

‘Lara Aurora Hall’ I command quietly.

The door to the tubes slides open. I hobble into the room tugging Iron in behind me. I turn carefully to face him and point in the tubes.

‘Get in the tube. Close the door. Activate the control pad. Tell it to go the Leto palace. Meet me there’ I instruct him through gritted teeth. He nods in understanding and we both scamper towards the tubes.

The fluorescent blue does nothing to transfix me anymore. My mouth runs dry. What if I’m too late?