Chapter Thirty-One

Chapter Thirty-One

"We should check on them." Cerberus decided, moving to go to the captain's quarters, but Charon caught his arm and pulled him back before I could. Actually, I was grateful he did it and not me, otherwise, I had a feeling Cerberus would eat my arm off.

Cerberus clenched his teeth and stepped back, glaring impatientlyat the door to the captain's quarters. It'd been half an hour since I left Blaine and Ambrosius alone in there, hopefully to talk. We hadn't heard anything, but from the strange tickling sensation I got, Ambrosius had set up a barrier so we couldn't eavesdrop, which only frustrated Cerberus further.

And Charon.

"You should have done this earlier," Charon told me in the wheel house, his eyes darting around suspiciously at the stretch of black water in front of us, "We're wasting time letting them talk here. We're getting closer and closer to the docks in Hell. If I go too close, Lucifer has full authority to attack me."

"He won't," I assured, but the look Charon gave me was doubtful, "Really. Look, just take Ambrosius and I closer to shore. From there, we can make it to the docks."

"I don't have life boats. That'd be a bit confusing." Charon deadpanned, gesturing to the empty Ferry, meant for the dead. I shook my head.

"We'll swim. We should be able to make it. It's not that far."

"Why don't you just teleport?" Cerberus grumbled, folding his arms over his chest, still glaring at the door. I gave him a droll stare.

"Hell is heavily protected from teleportation visits. Any attempt to teleport to Hell will send us straight to the front Gates, and I don't have time to walk that distance. It'll be easier to swim the short distance to the docks that are less than half a mile from the palace." I explained in irritation. Charon frowned at me.

"Ambrosius can't swim, last I checked."

"He'll be fine with me."

"Somehow, I doubt that." Charon muttered. He appeared troubled, but I don't think it was making it to the docks. Or at least, I didn't think so. He kept looking around, like he was waiting for something, and there were goosebumps creeping across his skin as he reached up to give his hood a tug to shadow his face.

"What's wrong?" I asked. Charon shook his head slowly. Alexion appeared beside him a moment later, looking grim.

"We have a problem." He stated. Charon cursed under his breath and moved away from us, leaving the wheel house to the deck outside. Alexion, Cerberus, and I hurried after him and looked behind us to see two boats moving in toward us quickly. They looked a bit old fashioned, but they definitely didn't move like old clunkers. They were catching up quickly. Charon turned and pushed everyone back into the wheel house, slamming the door shut behind him and turning to face us.

"It's Hades's men. They must have seen the Ferry when we left Inferi." He stated. Alexion nodded, pausing to peer out the window before pulling down the blinds.

"They'll be boarding us in a few moments. We can't outrun them." He warned. Charon nodded grimly, rubbing at his neck thoughtfully, moving toward the wheel.

"Okay, I think I have an idea," He said slowly, "Everyone get into the captain's quarters. Alexion, stow them away below deck for now. Once Hades's men get on the Ferry, they'll try to search. Alexion and I will do what we can to keep them from getting down there." Alexion nodded. I wasn't so sure I could trust them, but with no other choice, I nodded. Cerberus more than eagerly burst into the captain's quarters, causing the sound barrier to shatter.

Inside, Blaine was sitting across from Ambrosius, both had looked pretty somber, until we burst in and they shot to their feet, both instantly peeved.