Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two

"Are you gonna tell me what you were doing or are you gonna just stand there?" Ambrosius demanded.

I swallowed against the anxiety that built up in my throat like a ball of cotton. I hadn't even noticed him standing there. How long had he been there? Why hadn't I noticed him before? He wasn't here when I first walked in, that much I remembered. Did he cloak his powers so I wouldn't sense him? While that irritated me, it shouldn't, because I was the one in the wrong.

"I should've asked," I began, making Ambrosius's eyes narrow, "I came in here to check on you and you weren't here and I knew that if I asked you, you would say no, but... I had to find Alexis's papers." Now confusion came onto Ambrosius's face.

"Alexis?" He asked. There was a hint of annoyance in his tone, and I was surprised to target it as jealousy. He couldn't possibly thing I was interested in that bully. The thought made me want to retch. I nodded, however, still holding the soldier files in my hand before I carefully placed them on the corner of Ambrosius's desk, part that wasn't splinted like a tree having been struck by lightening.

"He's been poking around Dania too much for comfort. I want to know more about him." I answered sternly, folding my arms over my chest. Ambrosius raised an eyebrow at that, putting a fist on his hip.

"Thorn, if Dania found out, she'd kill you. You really aren't giving yourself any brownie points today." He added dryly, dropping his arm and walking over to pick up the files. I almost sighed in relief that my ruse had workedc. It was much better than taking off and leaving him to curse at me.

"I don't like him," I replied flatly, then frowned as I watched Ambrosius pick up the files and straight them out before putting them in one of the non-broken drawer of his desk, "And... I want to apologize." Ambrosius scowled, slamming the drawer shut and turning to face me sourly.

"Yeah, I know. You did this before."

"And I am sorry. Again."

"You shouldn't be," Ambrosius muttered, making me frown curiously at him, "I don't know why I get so mad when people tell me that... I guess it's because I'm so used to living with him, as him, that it's like someone is telling me I'm not a person. I don't know. It's really stupid. I shouldn't have blown up in your face about it. I'm just..."

"Stressed." I offered. Ambrosius nodded and came up to me so he could put his head against my chest. My insides quivered and I wrapped my arms around him, holding him close. Guilt pulsed through my veins as I held him, though. I had lied to him, even worse, I'd shown distrust in him. I hated myself for feeling like this. I loved Ambrosius. God, even if he did know everything about his father, so what? I'd still love every piece of him with every part of my soul. He could be a psychotic murderer bent on destruction and I would still be beside him. The fact that I had a momentary lapse in judgement stung. I hated myself for it. It made me hug him to me tighter as I cradled him against me, kissing the top of his head. He tilted his head and nuzzled my ear, kissing me there for a moment. A shiver cut through me and I turned my head so I could kiss him on the lips.

He moaned instantly, reaching his hands up to cup my head, pulling me closer, deepening a kiss that was making my body hot and hard all over again. I lowered my hands to his perfectly formed ass, squeezing him there and pulling him up against me. He groaned and nipped at my lips eagerly. He was steadily pushing me back toward his bed, I noticed, as he stepped closer and closer to the point where I was trying not to fall over from his advances.

"What're you doing?" I murmured against his lips, pinching his ass and making him hiss lowly before he licked at my bottom lip.

"You said later. It's later."