Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

The rest of the day, unfortunately, was difficult.

Several arguments arouse, no surprise, involving Greeks versus Christians. It would start out as just little things, then esculated to verbal retorts, then fist fights. Thank goodness, Xenon and Anita seemed to work together to keep them apart when they got into such fights. It was exhausting and irritating and I began to wonder if putting up with the wraiths all on our own would be much easier. In fact, give me a whole horde of wraiths any day.

I sighed, dragging a hand across my face in frustration as I set my pen down at the sound of shouting outside my tent. It would seem yet another fight was commencing and my patience was wearing thin to the point where I'm surprised it was even intact. I took a deep breath, pushed up from my desk, and walked out of my tent to see two Christian soldiers, much to my dismay, in a shouting match while both Greeks and Christians watched on in irritation.

"Enough," The older soldier snarled, clenching his fists and advancing on the youngest man, who curled his lip in response, "I've had about enough of your whiny ass! You can't put up with other people for more than a few weeks?! This might not even be our permanent job!" A few of the soldiers, on both sides, nodded and murmured amongst themselves.

"Like hell," The younger one shouted, giving the older one a shove and making him stumble, so a few other soldiers, one a Greek, moved to help him, "I'm not gonna sit here and pretend to get along with a bunch of heathen bastards! We're Christians!"

"We're part of Lucifer's army." A soldier deadpanned from nearby. Several soldiers laughed at that, both Christian and Greek.

"We're still Christians," The youngest one chirped angrily, "Or at least fucking Satanists or something of the sort! Not Greek bastards who would fuck animals if they wanted!" One Greek started forward to hit him, but his brethren held him back.

"You shut your mouth," He sneered viciously, baring a set of thick fangs signifying his werewolf heritage, "At least our people didn't try to take back some spit of land they claimed was the holy land! At least our people don't fucking destroy everything in our path! You Christians have been a plague the moment your Christ started spewing bullshit!" The younger Christian soldier's face darkened and he lunged for him, but the older one held him back.

"We were trying to help you fucking heathens is what we were doing, but you were set in your savage ways! I shouldn't even be here! I was a good Christian--"

"That's what they all say! You set up your silly stupid little commandments and don't even follow them! Your religion is nothing, but hate and lies used to scare people into obeying, not God, but a regular man with money!"

"At least we didn't sacrifice animals!"

"Do you even fucking read the Bible, you shit?!"

"Do you?!"

"Surprisingly, yeah! I read it because of Cain and Abel!"

"They're blasphemous homosexuals!" One of the men holding back the Greek soldier lunged forward and tackled the young Christian to the ground and the two went at it like a bar brawl. I cursed and shoved aside soldiers with Anita shoving people aside to make way. We got into the circle just as Ambrosius and Xenon were.

"Enough!" We shouted in unison. Both soldiers scrambled to their feet frantically, standing up straight to face us. I glared at my soldier in disgust.

"Do not slander another person's beliefs," I commanded, raking him in repungence, "Nothing gives you the right to say such a thing." Ambrosius went over to his soldier and grabbed him roughly by the arm, making him wince.