Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

I woke up to warmth and the heavy scent of beer, ash, and au natural Ambrosius.

My eyes flickered open, feeling heavy as I lifted my head. Ambrosius was laying on his side, arms tucked against himself and knees drawn up, but his back against my chest and my arm draped around him. I smiled sleepily at that and rested my cheek against his arm, making him shift a little.

"Ambrosius... wake up." I murmured. Ambrosius tilted his face to bury it against the pillow.

"I have...the worst headache... in the world..." He groaned, reaching a hand up to cover his ear. I smirked, prying his fingers away from it so I could kiss the shell of it. He sighed and dropped his hand back to the bed, goose bumps creeping over his skin as I kissed and licked at his ear. I sucked the lobe into my mouth and Ambrosius started to squirm.

"That feels weird."

"Good weird?"

"Yes."

"Okay." I continued suckling on his ear and he practically purred like a giant cat. I chuckled and propped myself up, leaning over him as he rolled onto his back to look up at me with hooded eyes, the glow of his blue irises eerie in a beautiful way. I leaned down and kissed his nose. He squeezed his eyes shut, then peeked them back open to look up at me.

"Why do you like me so much?" He murmured. I tilted my head, reaching out to brush the hair back from his face, tucking it behind his ear.

"I could lay here in bed all day and answer that question. So, I'll go with everything."

"Everything?"

"Everything. The dimple in your cheek when you smile, the way you dance like it's the greatest thing in the world, the way you strive to do your best. Just to name a few." I added, smiling at him and brushing my thumb across his bottom lip. He looked down at my hand, then up at me curiously.

"You like me enough to challenge my father?"

"I like you enough to take your father down one-handed. Even if it killed me."

"That's a scary thought."

"Indeed," I agreed with a nod, then leaned down to kiss along his jaw, making him tilt his head so I could kiss at his throat, "I'd face the entire Greek pantheon if it meant keeping you." Ambrosius moaned softly as I sucked and kissed at his throat, careful not to leave any marks for fear of one of his soldiers finding out when the troops arrived. I had no doubt that Hades would have planted at least one soldier amongst the troops to keep an eye on Ambrosius during his stay here, to ensure that I didn't get my hands on him. Of course, it was a little too late for that, I thought wickedly, sneaking my hand up Ambrosius's shirt to grope at the muscles there. Ambrosius squirmed at that and tried to roll away, but I pulled him back against me.

"You're not getting away." I warned him. Ambrosius groaned, but said nothing as he slumped back against me, closing his eyes and sighing. He tilted his head back to look up at me. I smiled, and he smiled back, making my heart flutter in my chest. Was this really happening? He seemed so docile... Was he finally accepting it? I didn't want to ruin the moment. Instead, I leaned down and kissed him and he kissed me back. He didn't know how, but something about his inexperience was endearing and it sent another wave of possessiveness through me.

I was the first person to touch Ambrosius like this. Cerberus had told me Hades was strict on preserving Ambrosius's virginity. Anyone who came near Ambrosius with sexual intentions faced Hades's wrath. He was like the terrifying father that prepped his shotgun to defend his child's purity... But I wasn't scared of Hades. If I had to stand up to him to keep Ambrosius, then so be it.