Chapter Twenty-Three

It wasn't real. None of it was real.

But that didn't make it go away. I shouted for Ambrosius, Raven, Dania, someone, anyone, but I wasn't even granted my own echo in response. I was surrounded by a suffocating darkness, so thick and endless that it hurt my eyes to look into it. The air was cold and tickled my skin, causing goosebumps to spread over me, hairs on my arms and the back of my neck standing on end. I tried to move, reach for something, anything, but my hands were only met by something that felt like spiderwebs. Sticky and silky. I shuddered and withdrew.

It was then that I heard the little whimpers and cries. It sounded like a small child weeping. I frowned curiously, tilting my head and trying to pinpoint the source of the sobs. I moved forward, waving my hands out in front of me so as not to trip on anything, if there was anything, moving the spiderweb silks out of the way. Closer and closer, the sobs became louder as well as a vaguely familiar voice. It was a man's voice.

The darkness slowly opened up to a child's bedroom. It was clean and prestine, with a twin bed set in one corner, a dresser, and walk-in closet. Everything was designed in shades of gray and black. The only way to tell that it was even a child's bedroom were the toys scattered on the floor and what used to be a small stereo system that now lay destroyed on the floor.

The little boy in the room was sobbing uncontrollably, rubbing at his bright blue eyes, his black hair sticking to his tear-stained cheeks. He wore a long-sleeved black shirt to match his little jeans. It took me a moment to realize this was Ambrosius, and the man standing across from him was Hades.

"Shit," Hades cursed, then went to the bedroom door and shut it, locking it tight before moving to Ambrosius, and when I expected him to hit Ambrosius, I was stunned when Hades dropped down in front of Ambrosius and gathered him in his arms, cradling his son's head to his shoulder, "Ssh, stop crying, Ambrosius. I'm sorry I scared you." Ambrosius whimpered and sniffled, burying his face in his father's shoulder as he clung to Hades's black cloak.

"I'm sorry." Ambrosius sobbed. Hades grimaced and hugged Ambrosius tighter.

"Don't apologize, Ambrosius. I was the one at fault... I just... What did you think you were doing?" He pulled back to cup Ambrosius's face in his hands. Ambrosius sniffed, wiping at his eye and tilting his head so it rested into Hades's hand.

"I don't know," He answered timidly, "I liked the music. Xenon bought it for me. He said I would like it... And I do. Why is it so bad that I was doin' that?" Hades clenched his teeth and withdrew from Ambrosius, who looked up at him in confusion. Hades shifted uncomfortably.

"Dancing is just... It's not something a god should do." He said at last. Ambrosius looked confused.

"But why?"

"Because. It's just not normal, Ambrosius."

"Oh," Ambrosius looked sad, "I'm sorry." Hades shook his head and stepped forward, putting his hands under Ambrosius's arms and lifting him to hold him against him.

"It's not your fault, Ambrosius," He said gently, rocking him slowly and making Ambrosius snuggle up against him, "Just don't do it again. You won't have time for it in a couple years anyway. You're going to be a great god one day." Ambrosius's eyes got wide at that as he sat back to stare at his father in awe.

"Me?" He asked. And for the first time since I'd known Hades, a genuine smile came onto his face as he pinched Ambrosius's cheek before kissing it, making his son giggle in delight.

"Yes, the greatest of the great. You'll see."

"I love you, daddy." Ambrosius sighed, hugging Hades around the neck. Hades's smile faded and pain flitted across his face as he hugged Ambrosius tightly to his chest. His hands trembled for a moment, his teeth clenching before he squeezed his eyes shut and buried his face against Ambrosius's hair.