Chapter Twenty-Five

Chapter Twenty-Five

"I dunno, boss, he seems pretty clean."

That was not what I wanted to hear. I clenched my teeth, leaning back on the desk in my office as I pinched the bridge of my nose, trying to cope with the news Remi had given me. After two days of tailing Enki non-stop, Remi had come up with nothing. The only thing the Sumerian demon did was scamper around the house trying not to run into the soldiers, following Castiel, eat, sleep, and watch Disney movies with Dania and Alexis.

We were back at a dead end.

Even worse, Ambrosius wasn't going anywhere near me since we had sex. I knew he loved me, and I could feel him watching me when I wasn't looking. I tried to talk to him a few times, but he made up excuses to go do something else. I was respecting him by giving him space, but now it was frustrating me. He wasn't doing it the way he used to either. The way he used to glare at me or react coldly. There was just an air of hopeless despair around him now that tore at my heartstrings.

"So," Remi said, dragging the word out as he rocked back and forth on his heels awkwardly, fiddling with a small statuette of the archangel Michael on a nearby stand, "Uh, how did it go with the spawn of Hades?" I twitched at that and Remi cleared his throat, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Or not. You don't have to fuck and tell." He offered. I rolled my eyes, shaking my head as I pushed off my desk, putting a hand on my hip. I made my way over to the window to look out into the courtyard where Ambrosius was with Raven and Dania, who were laughing and joking. Ambrosius just watched them with this faint smile; Xenon hovered behind him like a dark shadow. Both of them looked pretty grim, despite the attempts at appearing nonchalant.

"He's freaking out," I said at last, frustrated as I dropped my other hand to my side, watching Dania dive from the side of the point, splashing Raven, who was making a big deal about it, Ambrosius just watching with a silent plastic smile, "And he has every right. Hades is coming in just a few more days. He's going to find out. And then what? Will he just come and kill me or launch a full scale war just because I deflowered his son?" Remi frowned, folding his arms over his chest as he leaned on the wall near the display stand, his eyes watching me.

"He is the type to do that. They're Greek. What do you expect?"

"You sound like Alaric."

"For once, the little shitter is right," Remi said, making me frown and look at him as he shrugged and held up his hands in surrender, "It's true. They start shit over smaller things than just sleeping with someone else's kid. Tell me you know the story of the Trojan War. All it took was one fuckin' invitation to some stupid wedding, a stupid apple, jealous hoes, and a dumb as a brick mortal to destroy the lives of thousands of people."

"So you're saying I should expect war." I stated. Remi's eyebrows went up and he wagged his finger.

"Non, cher. I'm saying prepare for a nuclear war. Wars between gods are far different from wars fought between humans. The rules are different."

"I know that."

"No," Remi said slowly, "You've been in wars between different subgroups. You're creating a war between two pantheons. Even worse, you know for a fact the God and His Angels won't help. They steer as far from Lucifer as they can, with good reason. And Hades, for all his assholeishness, he has allies."

"So do we," I insisted, "Helheim."

"And Helheim is currently experiencing its own apocalyptic disaster because of Hades's destruction. The last thing they'll be eager to do is run over here to help Lucifer fight a war over some guy."