Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

I let Ambrosius sleep in my room before I went to meet Remi.

It was two in the morning by then. Everyone had surrounded me once I returned, exploding with questions that still made my head spin, but I managed to fend them off long enough to put Ambrosius in my room, having Raven and Dania combine their abilities to plaster banishing spells and barriers all over the place. I managed to give them all a run-down of what happened before I finally broke away to go see Remi in my study.

He was spinning in my seat, muttering under his breath until he saw me walk in and he shot to his feet. The relief on his face was momentary before he glared, putting his hands on his hips.

"You know, Cerberus is actually kind of an asshole." He stated. I frowned at that, walking over to my laptop and opening it up after Remi moved away from my seat to plop down on my desk.

"I figured," I answered dryly, "What did he say about Ambrosius?"

"Nothing," Remi scoffed, making me scowl in confusion, "He said he wouldn't speak to me. It had to be you and that was it. He's also pissy that you spent almost four hours calling him yesterday and when he finally wants to talk to you, you can't."

"Oh, sorry," I said sourly, "I was just saying his brother. Next time, I'll text him." Remi smirked at that, then sighed and leaned back on his hands, swinging his legs back and forth as I opened up Skype to call Cerberus again.

"Did he say anything else?"

"No," Remi admitted with a shrug, "He was just being a dick... But I heard something in the background that was interesting." I frowned, glancing at him sideways, cursor hovering over the call button.

"And that was?" I asked when Remi didn't continue. Remi mirrored my frown.

"Someone speaking Celtic. Pretty sure it was that fae you were looking into. I asked Cerberus about it and he said it was none of my business. So I told him to get neutered and he hung up on me. Rude, right?"

"Remi."

"What? The dog jokes are addicting." Remi said defensively. I shook my head and dialed the number. It seemed to ring for what felt like forever before someone finally picked up.

"Listen, shifter, if you call me again--"

"It's Thorn." I deadpanned, cutting Cerberus off. There was some shifting, some scrambling, someone asking questions, a loud thud, footsteps, and then the sound of someone closing a door. I waited through some more rustling before Cerberus came back.

"You have nerve calling me after you ditched me earlier." Cerberus told me tightly.

"I'm sorry," I told him honestly, "But I was... uh, well, I was trying to solve a catastrophic problem." I explained. I don't think Cerberus would appreciate me informing him that his brother had been kidnapped by wraiths. If anything, he'd run and tell Hades and then Hades would be trying to kill me.

"You have catastrophic problems? Try having seven brothers, two of whom have brains the size of plant cells. Seriously. It's like trying to corral a bunch of mentally dysfunctional three-year-olds. So before I get an ulcer having to deal with them, I want to know why you are so insistent to know about Ambrosius... and why you think Persephone isn't his real mother. If Hades heard you talking about that, he'd slit your throat and bathe in your blood before frying your intestines up for brunch." Cerberus told me, making me grimace at his imagery. I glanced at Remi for a moment and he just held his hands up in surrender before leaning back on his hands. I looked at the computer monitor in silence for a moment.