Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

"Shit!"

I cursed and leapt up from the table, moving in front of Ambrosius, who also got to his feet. One of the men in the bar jumped up and kicked the table at the wraith, but it passed right through it and ran for us. It moved awkwardly, but quickly. It looked like something that crawled out of a horror movie and it sent goosebumps over my skin as it screamed, jaw falling open further.

I grabbed Ambrosius and jerked him behind me as we ran for the nearest exit.

"What are you doing?" Ambrosius demanded, bewildered.

"Get out," I ordered, ducking into the kitchen and pulling Ambrosius with me as I maneuvered around counters, "I need you to get to the stables, get Remi, and head straight for the mansion." Ambrosius's eyes flashed, surprising me with worry and anger as he wrenched at my grip, but I tightened it so he couldn't get away. I heard an enraged shriek and dared to glance over my shoulder to see the wraith pass through the wall, its long black hair sucking itself out lastly with the billowing robes.

"And what about you?" Ambrosius demanded as I jerked him into a long hallway that led to the left and cut through to another building.

"I'll be fine, just go!"

"I'm not going without you, are you nuts?! Let me help!"

"Absolutely not," I shouted at him angrily, making it to the door at the end of the hallway and shoving him against it, making him twitch, "This thing is after you, Ambrosius, and you have no idea how to fight these things! Hades may have prepared you to fight solid creatures, but wraiths are not solid! Punching them won't work, not even energy blasts are effective! If this thing gets a hold of you, it'll take you back to its nest and they'll feed on you until you're nothing, but a husk. For once in your life, stop trying to be a soldier and be a normal person! Run!" Ambrosius opened his mouth to argue, but a screech made us gasp in pain and cover our ears. I snapped around as the wraith came charging toward us, arms out stretched and jaw bent crookedly open to reveal its teeth. Ambrosius actually made a sound that seemed to be a mix between a yelp and a gasp. I shoved him behind me and faced the wraith, thrusting my hand out.

I built up tidal wave of energy and sent it out in the form of electricity. It screeched and shot through the air as red lightening bolts before catching the wraith in the chest, causing it to flip over itself and fly back across the hallway into the floor where it splashed into the shape of a trembling shadow and screamed and sobbed in pain. I turned back to Ambrosius, who stared at the creature, then at me.

"How did you do that?" He demanded.

"I'll show you for your freakin' birthday, just go, damn it!" I ordered, then wrenched the door open and pushed Ambrosius out before he could protest. I slammed the door shut and locked it. I heard his fists smack into it a second later, but didn't have time to deal with it because the wraith screamed again and ran at me. I drew my hands in, elbows bent outwards as I gathered up another tidal wave of electrical energy, then thrust my hands out, palms facing the creature as another flurry of electricity shot out at it.

The wraith screamed and ducked a few bolts, dodged another, but was eventually struck in the face and flew back into the floor. It turned into the same mushy black shadow that quivered in pain before it drew up again, rushing at me. I threw my hand out and sent out another mesh of electricity when a sharp pain exploded in my shoulder as I gasped, stumbling forward. I reached behind me, but my hands sank into cold thick air.

I sent a blast out and a shriek went into my ear before I whirled to see a second wraith at my back, baring its rows of pointy teeth at me. It lunged for me again, but I blasted it back before whirling to see the other racing at me. I blasted that one back before having to move to the next one, letting out a foul curse under my breath.