Chapter Twenty-Nine

Chapter Twenty-Nine

The night was cold and quiet.

Remi had disappeared back into my ring to rest for tomorrow. Ambrosius and I had cleaned up the mess we made in the kitchen before grabbing a bottle of wine and heading into the living room where we laid completely naked on the floor, wrapped in the blankets.

Suffice it to say, Cerberus might want to have his carpets removed after the things we'd done. And probably burn the blankets too. I sat against the pillows we'd used to prop ourselves up. Ambrosius laid against me, his head resting against mine as we took turns drinking from the wine bottle.

"Was it a bad thing we ate their food and drank their wine?" I asked, licking wine off my lips. Ambrosius smiled a little, leaning up to kiss the wine away before nuzzling at my ear. My cock jerked at that and I bit into my bottom lip as he spoke with his lips pressed against my ear.

"Cerberus's food is imported," He murmured, rubbing his hand across my chest, "And even if it wasn't, I'd give you us permission to leave... Just because Hades hates me doesn't mean he can take my powers away." He laid back against me and I felt my heart ache as I hugged him close. I wanted to comfort him by assuring him Hades didn't hate him, but I wasn't Hades, so maybe I didn't know as much as I felt I did. So I remained silent, stroking Ambrosius's smooth shoulder as he closed his eyes, releasing a long sigh.

"Then again," Ambrosius murmured, making me frown at him, "I'm not technically a god until I have ambrosia and nectar. So, maybe he can take my powers away." He looked down at his hands, flexing his fingers. I frowned at that, taking his hand in mine before my eyes flickered to his. He looked at me curiously before I moved away from him, covering him with the blanket and strapping my pants back on.

"Where are you going?" Ambrosius asked, a tinge of alarm in his voice. I smiled at his concern, leaning down to kiss his brow before holding up a finger for him to wait a moment. He still appeared uneasy at my sudden departure, but I wouldn't be gone for long. I left the living room and walked into the kitchen, heading straight to the fridge. I paused, having opened it until I found what I was looking for. I took out a small plate covered in plastic wrap and a clear bottle of gold liquid. I came back into the living room. Ambrosius looked up before paling.

"Thorn--"

"It's Cerberus's," I admitted with a shrug as I came to sit beside him and he sat up, staring at the plate as I peeled the wrap off and handed it to him, "Even Cerberus needs to maintain his godhood. And since you're of the underworld, that whole food bit shouldn't have an effect on you." Ambrosius eyed the little bars of ambrosia warily. They looked a lot like lemon squares, complete with a white powder on top.

"You deserve this, Ambrosius," I told him, touching his shoulder and leaning in to brush my lips against his cheek, "You don't need to be scared of Hades anymore. This can be your choice, and yours alone." Ambrosius stared at me for a moment, then hesitantly picked up one of the small bars. He made a face at it, making me chuckle.

"It smells weird." He muttered.

"Tastes better, trust me." I assured. Ambrosius stared at the food a while longer, like he was waiting for it to jump out at his face, before he slowly bought it to his mouth and bit down timidly. I watched him chew, blinking in amazement.

"It tastes like a po'boy." He said, baffled. I smiled.

"Ambrosia flavors change according to your favorite food."

"That's amazing."

"Try the nectar. You need both for the effects to take place." I said, popping the bottle and handing it to him. Ambrosius took it without hesitation and took a few swallows, then a few more until the bottle was gone and he popped another bar of ambrosia into his mouth. There was a sudden warm glow to his skin, and his eyes literally lit up like two blue orbs. He didn't seem to notice because he was too busy eating the rest of the ambrosia. I smiled in relief as he licked the last of the ambrosia off his fingers and pushed the plate aside, breathing out a long sigh of satisfaction.