Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter Twenty-Four

The next few days were frustrating.

Ambrosius was too busy bossing all the soldiers around while Xenon followed him every step of the way, eyeing me from afar to make certain I didn't interfer with Ambrosius's work. Not that I could even if I wanted to considering I was still feeling like garbage after the wraith's attack. My body felt weak. It was like all my limbs had turned to rubber and my blood became acid.

How I managed to stand nearby and ensure that the soldiers were doing their duties was beyond me, but I suppose it was just the little effort in standing and shouting. Every so often, my ring would tingle as Remi wanted to constantly remind me that he was there to assist me in case I didn't feel well. Even worse than his worry was Raven and Dania constantly checking up on me.

Surely they should know by now that I was perfectly capable of taking care of myself. I'd spent years in Purgatory on my own, with only Remi as my side.

"You know, he's starting to piss me off." I blinked, then turned my head to see Dania approaching with Alexis ever at her beck and call. I narrowed my eyes in irritation as she came over, dressed up in a brown leather hunter-style corset over a green turtleneck with short, puffy sleeves, and long brown leggings that went into black ankle boots. Alexis wore his uniform-- a pair of beige baggy pants and a tight brown sleeveless turtleneck with his beige sash around his waist to hold his weaponry.

Weaponry I didn't want him to carry around Dania.

"Who?" I asked, trying to ignore Alexis's towering presence behind Dania as she handed me a bottle of water that I tore open and chugged down.

"Xenon," Dania said, her eyes following the Atlantean, "He's totally getting between you and Ambrosius. Have you guys even had sex yet?" Alexis made a weird noise and covered his face, obviously embarrassed by her question. I grimaced, looking away from them both.

"Dania, I don't want to discuss that with one of the soldiers here."

"Oh, Alexis doesn't care."

"Alexis is gonna go see what Raven needs." Alexis deadpanned, walking away. Dania shrugged, looking after him, her eyes trailing down to his backside. I cleared my throat and she looked away, flashing me a wicked grin.

"He's adorable."

"He's a giant mountain of a monster."

"Oh, he is not. He's like an overgrown puppy. Besides, we're not talking about Lexi, we're talking about you and your boyfriend. What're you gonna do about Xenon getting between you two?" Dania asked, folding her arms over her chest. I frowned, looking back toward where Ambrosius was instructing a soldier on his next duty while Xenon hovered nearby, watching the entire yard like a hawk. Our eyes met briefly, or at least, I think they did considering he was wearing those black sunglasses. Then he turned his head away.

"There's nothing I can do," I said at last, making Dania frown at me, "Xenon is more watchful now. I'm still too drained from the wraith's attack..." My voice trailed as the list went on in my head. I had to find the spy Hades had sent in. I had to keep his troops from turning on us, if they knew of their leader's plan.

I was starting to miss the peaceful boring days of solitude inside a big home with only Remi and horses for company.

As if reacting to me, Remi's ring heated up on my finger, then cooled down. I sighed, clasping my hands and stroking the ring, debating whether to send Remi out to find the spy again, but it would take arguing and I was far too exhausted to argue. He insisted on remaining at my side in case I needed him.