Chapter 4: Parting Glances

Start from the beginning

Anne and Harry came on either side of my bed next and they kissed my cheeks simultaneously and Anne brushed the hair out of my face in a motherly way as Harry openly sobbed into my shirt and when he finally emerged with puffy eyes he said; “I’m not loosing you okay? You’ll pull through won’t you? Promise me you will?” He stuck out his pinky and encircled it in mine.

“Okay Harry, let Niall through sweetheart.” Anne pulled him away and a split second later I was engulfed in one of Niall’s famous hugs. “We love you okay? So please don’t leave us,” he paused to look up, our blue eyes meeting as he leant in to kiss my cheek, “please?” I leant up as far as I could manage and hugged him once more, then it was Liam’s turn to come say goodbye and he brought Carla tagging along behind him. Carla was the only one not crying, and I was slightly taken back until she held my hand close to her heart. “I have faith in you sweetheart, against all odds you pulled through last time, and you’ll do it again. Don’t break these boys hearts or the world will never forgive you. Be strong and we’ll see you when you’re feeling better.”

Then it was just Liam with me and the tears were coming in a steady stream trickling down his perfect face, his eyes were red raw and he had clearly been crying for a while. The sight of this boy by my side again tugged at my heartstrings and our fingers intertwined as he grabbed my other hand and held it tightly.

His trembling hands touched the skin around my IV, reminding me of when we were together in my hospital room, ‘Okay just for this moment, right now, trust me and promise me that you’ll be alright, because honestly I don’t know if I can loose you. So don’t leave me, not today, just pull through okay, for me? I love you…we all love you…” He pulled one hand away to roughly wipe away his tears and try to compose himself. Dr Harvey then came in and a nurse escorted Liam out, I was plunged into darkness as a familiar tingling ran through my bloodstream and I lost what was left of my consciousness.

(LIAM’S POV)

The doors swung shut with a bang and the painful silence of waiting surrounded me once more, “Fuck, I can’t do this again. I, I have, I just have to go…” I stormed out of the waiting room and out into the typical cloudy London day. Well, fresh air had to be better than that chemical shit in there. Damn it I can’t do this again, the waiting, not knowing if she’ll be okay. I can’t, I just can’t. I hear Zayn calling after me and when I walked away I saw Niall and Harry crying together, but it’s Louis who comes after me.

“Hey, Liam, hey just stop. Wait! I’m not going to ask you to come back just stop. Jeez you know I can’t run as fast as you slow down!” I look down and see that my feet have impulsively taken me further from the hospital than I expected. I slowed down at turned around, waiting for Louis to catch up. While waiting I took out my phone to look at the time but instead I was met with her beautiful face, a picture Niall had taken of her and him goofily balancing spoons on their noses at lunch a few days ago. I sat down on the edge of the pavement and buried my face in my hands. I couldn’t loose her, I just couldn’t. I looked up and saw Louis’ familiar feet, shoes without socks.

“Hey,” Louis took a seat beside me, wrapping his arm around me and pulling me in close. “I’m sorry Liam I really am, but, I, I think it was my fault…” What, his fault? It was just a surgical mishap, wasn’t it? I looked up and pulled away from him to get a better read on him. His eyes had lost their usual cheerful sparkle and he was fidgeting a lot which only meant one thing, he was feeling guilty, really, really guilty.

“How could it have been your fault Louis, don’t feel guilty it was just another surgical mishap. They said it might happen and I’m sorry I left you guys; I should’ve been there when it happened. I should never have left in the first place…”