CHAPTER 16: Call The Shots

UNEDITED 2017 version.

October, Manhattan, New York

Quarter to six when Dana is all fixed up. Dana wore a wine red bodycon dress paired with a stiletto. She is not much of a make-up user since she has a natural reddish cheeks and white complexion. She also has long lashes that only need accentuating mascara to complete her look.

She's very much thankful that her parents have nice genes.

Five days ago, she called off her dinner date with Malcolm. But the guy insisted to go out with her even if he has a tight schedule. Malcolm has been jumping from one country to another just to supervise their business. Running an empire is not a joke. It takes a lot of patience and skills in order to manage different fields of company.

Now, she understands to why her parents are convincing her to manage the company built by her Mom. His brother cannot do it anymore since they already have too much in their plates. She, who only dwells into cooking and managing her restaurant, gives no fuss and stress. She's cool, by the way. Makayla is still young and she has no background of running a company—even the crucial decision making. Her sister was being pampered by everybody so she has no things to think to.

Yesterday, Malcolm arrived in her office with an Ecuadorian rose bouquet in his hands. He was all smiles but she feels guilty for turning him down the other day.

Malcolm is in his jeans and tight brown shirt. No businessman attire for now. She secretly smiles as she looks at him. He looks majestically breathtaking. He could really sweep someone's feet right now. And maybe, she's that someone.

He handed him the bouquet—her favorite color of roses. "For the loveliest girl I have ever met." Malcolm wraps an arm around her waist, "I missed you." He said soothingly.

Dana felt the butterflies in her stomach made chaotic commotions. She flushed instantly. "You always say the sweetest words, Malcolm. Why is that?" She playfully asked.

Malcolm smirked and gave her a kiss on the cheeks—she flushed even more.

Getting intimate with Malcolm is another thing. The last time she was like this with him was when they had their first kiss after nine years. That incident when she almost drowned and Malcolm tried to save her by crashing his lips into hers.

The day of the confrontation.

"Maybe because I am with the right person." He hugs her. "What do you think?"

"I think that could suffice everything." She laughs too.

She let her gaze drops down to his clothes. Now, she wondered. "Why are you not dressed for business today? Don't you have work?" She asked.

Malcolm shrugged, "Just got off from a flight then went straight here to see you." He tucks back a loose stray of hair in her ear. "Hoping to spend the day with you." He grins boyishly.

"I guess you still have jetlag... Am I right?" His last statement drops like a bomb. "I'm only reading weekly reports now. I'm free today."

"Really? Then, can I stay here? I just want to be with you." Malcolm is very vocal that Dana couldn't keep up. His words send thousands of meaning to Dana. Her growing appreciation and love for Malcolm creates another alienated feeling she can't explain.

Things that you can do for love.

"I was kind of downed when you phone me just to call off the dinner. I was hoping I could spend that night with you. But... you happened." There's sadness in his voice.