[forty nine]

Indi's POV

"Indi-" Alex's voice broke over the phone.  "Indi."

I rolled my eyes and leaned against the counter in the club bathrooms.  The music was still thumping loudly outside and all I wanted was to get back out there with my friends.  But not without telling Alex how much of an asshole he was first.  

"Stop repeating my name," I spat at him.  "Just promise me you won't come back to the club."

"Uh," he stuttered, his breathing clouding up the sound.  "Of course not.  I won't. I won't come back."

I was ready to yell at him again, but then I stopped dead.  Had... had he just complied with me?

That was weird.  

"Alex, I mean it," I said, sure that he was about to come back with some quip.  

"Okay," he agreed.  "But I've, uh, I've got to go."

Was I hearing him right?  Alex Turner, going down without a fight?

"Where are you?" I asked him, instinctively.  

"I'm uh," he paused and there was muffled noise.  "I'm just right outside.  I've got to go, Indi.  I'm hanging up now."

And then the line went dead.  

I stood there for a moment, still holding the phone to my ear.  

And I knew then, as my stomach began to sink, that something was wrong.  

I left the bathroom not knowing what it was or what I was going to do.  And as much as I fucking hated Alex, something told me that I needed to find him.  

Fast.