Clifflet

Author's notes: ApparENTLY CLIFF x AUKLET IS A THING

The meeting was short.

It was supposed to be short, anyway. Just a bit of talking and official-ish stuff here and there, Queen Coral talking to his mom and him sitting like a prince. Which he was.

Cliff summoned his years of etiquette training and tried hard to pull his shoulders back and tuck in his tail, fold his wings and it was so tight and suffocating-

He glanced at the other side of the room, where beside the twisting throne, there was a small dragonet sitting on a much smaller version of the throne, her scales gleaming like emeralds in the glittering lights shining from above.

What was weird about her was she seemed to be attached to her mother quite literally- her neck bound and tied by a single, rubbery translucent harness that seemed to link to Queen Coral.

As soon as they made eye contact, red eyes clashing against myrtle, Cliff darted his glance to the distance, very focused and interested in the seahorse statue on the right.

His face was hot. He didn't know why- it was generally cool in the palace, wind whistling from above like a small bird chirping gently.

Cliff dug his talons deeper into his seat, heat searing from his face to his snout and neck and chest. He was sure smoke was rising from his ears, and he covered them tightly to avoid panic of a fire amongst the SeaWings.

His mom seemed very engaged in a conversation that droned on like monotone buzzing bees. Cliff sighed, his eyes darting back, catching a glimpse of the green dragon's eyes- he would look away- he would-

Her eyes were like deep, dense forests sucking him in, hypnotizing him. Cliff realized he was awkwardly staring at the SeaWing Queen's daughter and dropped his eyes to the floor, his face feeling redder than ever.

What was this feeling? This fluttering, beating jittery feeling he had, like nervous energy was going to burst inside of him.

Finally, -finally-, Queen Ruby stood up, nodding to Queen Coral, and they shook talons.

The green dragonet followed after her too, slightly dragged along by the harness tugging her towards Cliff. She held her talon to Cliff, and he looked up at her, confused.

"You're supposed to shake my talon." The SeaWing said, and he took it, his claws trembling. He hoped his talons weren't too sweaty.

"My name's Auklet. What's yours?" Auklet asked, her voice curious, like she wanted to shred every single piece of knowledge off of him.

"Cliff. Um. Prince Cliff." Cliff cleared his throat, shuffling his feet. "So, uhm. Nice seeing you?"

"Nice seeing you too," Auklet replied without breaking a sweat, and then she left.

Wow. That was pathetic of you.

Cliff exhaled a long breath he didn't know he'd been holding.

Maybe I'll get to see her again.