Turtlejou

Turtle seemed boring at times. It reminded her of a flopping fish, sinking into the depths of a muddy, murky puddle. 

Or maybe he was unnoticeable. He would fade into the background like a shout in a noisy room. You could hear the shout, but you would never truly notice it.

He would do nothing special. He was one of those ordinary dragons doing their ordinary things and leading their ordinary lives-

-but what wasn't ordinary was that he was Turtle.

In Kinkajou's eyes, no matter how hard Turtle had tried to stay hidden, he had stood out more than ever to her. Those little things he would do, like nervously fidgeting with his scroll or that thoughtful look when he was thinking deeply- it was all Turtle, it wasn't some ordinary dragon, it was Turtle, and that was what mattered to her.

The fact that he would clean up after his winglet left the class, or the fact that he made sure everyone was full before he ate. It was all little, but it didn't go unnoticed by Kinkajou.

No, it didn't get unnoticed at all.

When it came to Kinkajou, no one ever got unnoticed.

Well, except for Coconut. She didn't want to touch on that topic.

The point was, she noticed that the little things he did had huge impacts on her, like how her scales would tinge scarlet pink when he talked to her, or when her face would heat up as if Turtle lit her entire soul on fire. Which was weird, considering his tribe.

She didn't know about the things he did to her, the things he would do to her, the things he made her feel. She didn't know this new experience- like whether it was the ever-quickening heartbeat she had around him, or it was just the way she felt like hugging him whenever she saw him in the hallways.

When she explained this to Turtle, he turned about as deep blue as the berries Kinkajou would eat in the rainforest. Turtle would gently pat on her shoulder, which caused new sprouts of pink to spill into her scales where Turtle had tapped, and Turtle would pull back, his evergreen eyes shocked, reminding her of the leaf windows in the library. It was so full of emotion and life, unlike his usually boring personality.

Kinkajou was normally excited and energetic and positive, because she believed that everything would get better somehow, no matter what. Turtle was just blending into  backgrounds, a fleck of green in a dense forest. They looked at a same thing, yet their thoughts sparked such different ways.

Huh, Kinkajou thought as Turtle twined his tail around Kinkajou's.

Their wings met, warm, sunny scales colliding with cool emerald ones.

I guess opposites do attract.