Winterwatcher (2)

"Mom."

Moon's wings were folded elegantly, like a swan frozen into time, empty and soulless but still so full of life.

Grey-green trees, the lackluster colour that spread onto its branches and leaves, lined the clearing with little space left for prey to hide.

"Mom, I need to ask you something. Um. I wanted to tell you this for a long time." Moon exhaled a long breath, then continued. "I know IceWings and NightWings are enemies but Winter is the best dragon I've ever met in my entire life- we're deciding on getting married. I know, it's really fast and rushed but I love him- you'd agree, wouldn't you?"

The murky weather hung over them like sorrow had stitched over their heads. Winter sighed, rubbing his temples. "Moon," His voice ever-so-gentle, a chilly breath on her neck. "Let's go."

"Wait, I-I-" Tears rolled down her face, bringing her glittering snout to light, and her wings shook like miniature earthquakes, sobs and cries wracking her entire body, shuddering her entire structure.

Winter allowed himself a sad smile.

"Mom, I- I just wanted you to know that I love you too- I won't forget how you risked everything for me, I really won't. I wish- I wish you could come." Moon rubbed her eyes furiously, and then her tears flowed to a stop. She leaned, exhausted, onto Winter, and he caught her, wrapping his wings around Moon.

"Shh," He soothed her gently. "It's okay. It's okay." Their scales shifted as Moon took in a week breath, clearing her mind. Winter's tail twined against the black scales of Moon, their talons resting on top of one another.

"Do you want to leave? Or-" Winter frowned, and then Moon shook her head, pursing her lips.

"It's fine." She unfurled her wings, ready to take flight. The dry tracks of tears evaporated from her face, revealing unblemished, smooth ebony scales. Her structure reminded Winter of a creature of midnight, carved like an impossibly stunning statue.

They flew away, the wind carrying them up to the sky, and Winter called to the ground below, his voice soft. Hopefully it was coherent enough for someone to hear.

"Thank you for Moon."

They soared away, the evening clouds drifting in the sky, shrouding the stone grave that stood firmly into the earth.