Moonbli

Tick. Tick. Tick.

The sound of clocks and time and the flipping of Moon's mind.

Tick tick tick tick tick.

Flip. Flip.

Tick tick tick.

A small golden dragonet, her tail arched to the end in an incomplete SandWing tail, clambered up to Moon, her orange eyes gleaming.

"Mommy," Desert said, the words not quite fitting in her mouth. She crawled clumsily across her mother's black wings, tugging at them.

"Shh," Moon patted her head. "Darling."

Desert settled onto a spot on Moon's shoulder, wriggling about, trying to adjust her sitting position.

This time, another dragonet, not quite as big, but bigger than Desert, crept silently out in front of his mother, sitting down obediently.

"Mun," He stammered, his black tail askew. He sat upright and hunched his shoulders, as if trying to think of a better way to say 'Moon'.

They were in the rainforest, safe and sound, the sun streaming from above and giving them all the warmth they needed. Critters and birds made small chittery sounds, from squeaks and squawks to as loud as a roar.

Vines draped on their shoulders, hanging from the overgrowth, where trees and plants filtered the sunlight, reflecting swimming green light everywhere.

In here, they were safe, just like Moon when her mother hid her in the rainforest.

Qibli was going to come back soon. Where was he? Was he injured?

Moon fussed in a worry, and it was those brewing, sinking feelings in her stomach that told her something was not quite right.

Then Qibli appeared, leaves rustling beside him, and Moon jumped to her feet, her face lighting up. "Qibli!"

"Glad to see me, I see," Qibli grinned, his eyes mischievous. He embraced Moon with all his warmth, and Moon sank into it, quiet.

"I was worried," She said finally, her voice muffled against Qibli's shoulder.

"You're always worried," Qibli joked, but it did nothing to lift the tension Moon had on her shoulders. She squeezed him tighter into the hug, almost seeming like if she let go Qibli would be whisked away from her forever.

"Moon? Hey, Moon, I was just gone for a little bit. Nice to see you all worked up in a while," Qibli tried again, smiling nervously at her, but Moon kept her embrace still, not letting go. Her head tipped down, not facing him, her eyes hidden.

"Moon?" Qibli gently slid his claws under her chin and lifted it up.

Moon stared into his gaze for the first time, and shocked him into stillness as silent tears ran down her face in streams.

"Hey, um." Qibli's eyes softened, concerned for the dragon he loved most. "Moon, are you alright?"

She choked, her eyes glistening. "I thought you were dead," Her voice hung on that last word like a lingering ghost.

"I'm not," Qibli smiled. "That's all that matters, right?"

Moon nodded, and hugged Qibli again, her wings sliding into his.

They stayed like that for a while, their dragonets patting their parents' legs, and the world was frozen in time. Moon wanted this to last forever, this embrace and stillness. But it couldn't. Qibli had to venture into the dangerous environment he was raised in and earn something for his family.

Safe.

We'll be safe.