Winterwatcher

His scales were stained with blue, the colour of shattered glass and the colour of the never-ending sky.

His scales spilled with the colour of tinted turquoise, dark blue and white mixed together to form the colour of a melting glacier.

His horns, sharp and smooth, jutted out like the craggy peaks of the Claws of the Clouds mountains. They were ivory, like ice, like it was so fragile if she held them in her talons they would scatter onto the floor.

His wings, spread out to full length, would have moonlight sparkling off it like a reflection on a lake. They would blind almost everyone with his flaring light, shining like a distant star in the night sky.

Why was it that his scales were tainted blue?

Moon's breath hitched, her voice cracking. IceWing blood was blue. IceWing blood was blue. Winter's blood is blue.

No. No. No. No!

She reached out tentatively to what seemed like a limp, mangled corpse of blue and white, laying as such an awkward position Moon felt bile was rising in her throat.

Then she woke up, the cave's rocky walls surrounding her, the firelit globes flickering beside her, as if life was going on like normal, like nothing ever happened. Kinkajou was sleeping in the woven hammock, her soft snores rattling the scroll racks gently.

Moon felt like a lingering miasma was all around her, sticking to her scales and to her body and wings and dragging her down. Her legs were like heavy chunks of rock and metal, dragging alongside her entire body.

It was still nighttime. When Moon went outside, the sky was scattered with thousands of stars, lit by three moons, one full, the two others thin crescents.

Winter. Moon's mind searched for the chilly, frigid, thoughts and landed in a head that was already deep in slumber, cold and frost around the edges.

He's all right. Moon sighed in relief, her wings spreading out to face the moonlight. She could never sleep when the moon was out, it was such a weird experience.

Moon had seen a future where she was going to choose between two dragons, a SandWing and an IceWing.

Now that she thought about it, the choice was much more difficult. In the process, she didn't want to break any of their hearts.

She reached out her ebony talons to the moons, the claws illuminated by the silver-white light silhouetting her entire arm.

I wish I didn't have to choose.