22. A Little Further

This one is dedicated to Sema9507

Thank you so much for your support.

***

Her heart's dangling o'er precipice, just clinging onto hope. Will he pull it up to safety or decide to slice the rope.

— John Mark Green

***

In the last chapter of Someone's Forever

[An Evening Maze]

Niera's POV

"Your assessment was quite close but my age is thirty eight years to be exact." He announced while raising his brow like calculating something with an amusing smile dangling on his lips.

Did I said that loud?

"Quite frankly, yes." He answered again, means I said that too.

Why my mouth and mind can't coordinate when it comes to talking... I mentally cringe while biting my inner cheek in embarrassment.

I lowered my gaze from his in pure embarrassment.

"I'm sorry.... I didn't mean to—"

"It's okay. You didn't said anything wrong." He smiled whilst I dragged my head to look up at him. His smile is very charming.

"Thank you." He nodded while grinning slightly.

I smiled at him before my eyes widen in shock. Not again....

But before I could form a coherent sentence for a decent explanation, he spoke. "I didn't mean to interrupt and scare you earlier but sleeping while leaning against the railing isn't a nice move. Especially when you are on twenty fifth floor and if falling you'll be on floor twenty one." His gaze averted from my face to the railing beside me, "There is a floor division after every five floor. Be careful." His stare came back on my face.

Wait what?!? I wasn't sleeping, I was thinking while closing my burning eyes.

A deep frown made an appearance on my face with his words. Well, I'm glad at least he changed the topic.

"No I wasn't sleeping, I was waiting." I muttered while scrambling away from the polished metal glass railing.

"Waiting, for whom, if I may ask?" he asked while his brows scrunched together. His hand went to the arm rest of his chair, probably on the controls.

"My friend Jerry.... I mean Jerry Revin, my colleague." I corrected while stuttering.

"We were supposed to meet at reception but I'm lost." I enunciated further fidgeting with my mobile phone.

"Is Jerry still here?" he murmured to himself with a frown, checking his wrist watch. I stood there shifting my weight between my feet.

I again quickly gave a look over to his profile. The man in front of me is wearing a well tailored suit minus the jacket which is resting on his lap right now. The checks shirt on him with the dark trouser is screaming about his elegant taste but more than that, they are telling me he is holding a strong position in this office. Definitely. This man is higher ranked official ready to take leave right now. His sleeves are rolled up to mid arm.

"You can't find the reception?" he asked again, breaking my mental inspection.

"No, I can't find the lift." I replied sheepishly. My reply brought a frown on his face before it broke into a small chuckle.