XIV. The Cat and the Mouse

Start from the beginning

Suddenly, it stood and my body tensed almost immediately. Staring at it warily, I slowly got up and lifted my silver skirt, which had crumpled but still managed to sparkle. Seconds passed, none of us moved. My eyes shifted to the same soldier on the steps and I could see his eyes dancing with amusement; he was enjoying my plight. I stared back at Damien's partner of crime and let out a war cry.

I won't be bullied by him or his partner just because my partner isn't here with me.

The cat yelped and jumped away as I was about to collide with it, taking the advantage of its shock, I ran up the steps to the soldier, who was now trying to fight off his smile. Just as I was about to reach him, the cat materialized in front of me. Without slowing down, I took an immediate U-turn and ran towards the fountain which was located in the centre of the private courtyard. I could hear it coming behind me, so I pushed my legs to run faster and circled the fountain, stopping diametrically opposite to it.

My heart was beating loudly in my chest and my breathing was heavy as we both stared at each other, waiting for the other to make a move. I took two steps to my right and it sprang to motion, chasing me. So I ran in the opposite direction. This went on for sometime, the cat wasn't in any mood to stop as it loved chasing. And it had found a perfect mouse- me.

I thought climbing the fountain wall might give me an advantage but I realized how stupid I was when it easily climbed the wall with a single jump. With three more jumps, it landed perfectly in front of me. I was in too much shock to move. I couldn't do anything but stare at it as it gracefully sat and meowed, its tail busy in a dance of its own.

" What do you want? " I whined.

It simply blinked without awarding me with any reply.

" Of course, it won't reply to me. What was I expecting when I asked the question? " I couldn't control the pout that formed, turning away, I got ready to hop off.

Just as I bended my knees to launch myself, it jumped and gave out a loud angry purr. The abrupt purr was enough to make me lose my balance. I yelped as I was about to fall backwards into the fountain when someone held my arm. Thinking it to be the soldier from earlier, I turned to thank him, only, to stop short when my eyes came in contact with the infuriating black ones.

" Damien! "

" Hello, Arianna. " He gave me a mischievous grin, " What are you doing here? Were you following me? " His grin widened.

" You asked me to follow you! Then you left me here! " I accused him, forgetting that I was still half hanging over the fountain water.

" Did I ? " He cocked his head to the side.

" Yes! You are a brat! I hate you! " I hissed.

" I would be careful if I were you. " He glared at me, making me stick my tongue out at him.

He released my arm for a second and held my hand before I could fall.

" Hey! " I exclaimed, clutching his hand tightly.

" Apologise to me! " He demanded.

" What if I don't? Would spoilt little Damien throw a tantrum because he didn't get an apology from me? " I boldly taunted him.

" You asked for this. " He released his hand but I remained clinging to him because of my tight hold.

He tried prying my hand off. When it didn't work, he shook his arm and lost his footing. And together we screamed our lungs out as we both fell into the cold water with a loud splash, the air filling with the laughter of the soldier. Resurfacing, I spat out the stale water which left a bitter taste in my mouth and glared at Damien. He mimicked me, pining me with a glare of his own.

" Look what you have done! " Accusing me, he tried to climb out but slipped and fell right into the water.

" I didn't do nothing, this is all your fault. " I bristled as he emerged out of water and glared at me with much more intensity this time.

The cat yawned and stretched, taking in our drenched forms blaming each other, still half submerged in water. Rolling its eyes, it jumped off and disappeared in the bushes.

I pulled myself up with a lot of efforts and slumped on the fountain wall, next to Damien. I turned my head away from him as he continued to grumble. Sniffing, I turned back to him,

" You spoilt my birthday. "

His grumbling stopped and his eyes widened as he took in my teary eyes and trembling lip, panic filling his face.

GUYS DON'T FORGET TO VOTE!