Chapter Fifty Five

Kiana Branwell

I sit next to Jocelyn's cold body. Her hand in mine as I look at her. All the years she spent running and all the years she spent raising Clary and I. This is the only peace she'll get from the man who hurt her the most.

"Kiana."

I wipe away the small stray tears and build my walls back up. I turn around to see Alec standing in front of me.

"I - I'm so sorry. I wish I could take those 30 seconds back," he frowned.

I don't say anything. I approach him and wrap my arms around his waist and hide my face in his chest.

"It's okay," I whisper.

"If there's anything I could do," Alec began.

"I just want to be alone right now," I sigh.

"Kiana please," Alec begged.

"I can't look at you right now, I need to rest my body," I sniffled.

I remove my arms from his waist and make my way to my bedroom and lay on my bed.

**

"Kiana wake up we need you."

I open my eyes and find Jace and Isabelle in front of me. Isabelle tossed me a whip and Jace handed me my bow and quiver.

"Is there a mission? Has Valentine been sighted," I ask.

I climb out of my bed getting ready.

"Alec and Clary are missing. I'm assuming she went on to try and resurrect Jocelyn," Jace said.

"She's still on about that, what does she think she's going to accomplish," I scoff.

"I don't care. Right now all I know is that they're in danger," Jace said.

"Alec and Clary can handle themselves," I snap.

"This isn't the time to argue stop feeling like shit and get your ass up," Jace snapped.

"Shut up Jace, at least I didn't abandon you," I snapped.

"Now isn't the time let's go," Isabelle snapped.

I rush out of the room and follow behind Jace and Isabelle. We get the address of the warlock and make our way to her home. I could hear faint commotion upstairs and we all split up. I see Alec on the ground and I use my magic and pin the warlock and child to the wall.

"Playtime's over. Put the girl down," I said.

"Her name is Madzie, and she's better off with me than left to fend for herself in this cruel world. You can save the redhead, but she still owes me the favor," Iris said.

I let her go and return my attention to Alec.

"Kiana," he smiled. "You came to help me."

"Alec. You okay," I ask as I help him up.

"We have to find Clary," Alec said.

"And fast," I said.

Alec and I walk alongside one another trying to figure out where Clary was.

"If I were a crazy Warlock I'd hide my prisoners in the lower levels," I said.

"That's where I was thinking," Isabelle said joining us.

She hugs her brother and the three of us make our way down to the lower levels where we see Clary and Jace.

"There you are. Are you okay," I said.

"Yeah. I'm... I'm fine," Clary said.

I pull her in for a hug.

"Don't do anything stupid like that," I sigh. "I can't lose you too."

"And you won't," she whispered.

*

The five of us make our way back to the Institute for the funeral of those we've lost. We were all in white suits and dresses. I stand besides Jace and Clary.

"I can't do this, Jace," Clary said.

"Neither can I," I said.

"Yes, you can. Just don't let go of me," Jace said.

He held Clary's hand tightly and extended his other out for me to hold.

"I don't need you," I spat.

"Those remaining will take their place with the fallen. Those remaining will say the names of the fallen," Aldertree said.

"Brother Micah," Brother Enoch said.

"Pulvis et umbra sumus," the crowd said.

"Brother Jeremiah," Brother Isaac said.

"For we are dust and shadows," the crowd said.

It was soon enough our turn. Clary shakes her head and gestures me to do it. Tears running down her face as my eyes burn.

"Jocelyn... Mom," I said my voice cracking.

I fall to the ground and hold her hand in mine as I cry. Alec approaches me and holds me in his arms.

"Jocelyn Fairchild," Jace said.

"Ave atque vale. Hail and farewell," the crowd said.

"You're okay," Alec whispered in my ear.

I'm far from it.