Chapter Ten

Alec Lightwood

After I witnessed Kiana and that mundane being taken by vampires I was determined to storm in there and fight them all off just to save her. That I could be her hero. The hero that she needs.

"I still don't understand what is the difference between a Shadowhunter and what you people call 'mundanes'" Clary muttered.

We safely make it back to the institute. We lost Kiana because of Jace's thing.

"We actually protect humans," Isabelle said.

"Right. You're right. Humans. You protect humans. You left Simon all alone in the van," Clary said. "Great job guys. Then my sister runs out and you can't stop her."

"There is some truth to the idea that human beings should have a modicum of common sense," I said.

"Alec, not now," Isabelle scolded.

"Look, they won't do anything to them," Jace said. "They just wanted to draw you out. They want the Cup and they think you have it."

"But why do they think that," Clary asks. "Why does anyone think that? What my mom lies to me and Kiana our entire lives and except, 'Oh, by the way there's this magic cup, I hid on planet bongo but don't tell anyone."

Clary lets out a frustrated sigh.

"What am I going to do now," she asks.

"We have to report to the Clave," I said.

"Great," Jace said sarcastically.

"They have to know what we found out about Valentine," I said.

"What that he's my father," Clary asks.

We all stop in our tracks and look at Clary.

"Great. Fine. Tell them," she said. "What good does that do Simon and Kiana?"

"Clary, it's all connected. The Vamps want the Cup," Jace said.

"Why? It makes New Shadow Hunters," she said.

"Nobody wants Valentine forming an army loyal to himself," I said.

"Plus it controls demons," Isabelle said.

"They'll propose a trade. Kiana and Simon for the Cup," Jace said.

"So, vampires will trade Kiana and Simon for the Cup and Valentine will trade my mother for the Cup," Clary sighed. "Either way, I lose someone I love. What if I just toss it up in the air and let them fight it out amongst themselves."

I rolled my eyes. Smart plan. Not.

"So this doesn't matter to you," I asked.

"Yes! Of course it matters," Clary yelled. "Listen when you saved my life, I put my trust in you. Now I need you to put your trust in me. I can't turn into what you are overnight."

Pfft, I saved Kiana's life not yours.

"It's true, she was raised as a mundane," Isabelle said.