Chapter Forty Eight

K I A N A  B R A N W E L L 

I walk in front of Hodge with my hands tied together. Glancing around my surroundings to try to pin point where I was every point five seconds.

"Hodge, what's going on," I question.

"Keep your mouth shut," Hodge ordered.

The two of us follow behind a man as we board a ship with multiple mundanes on it. Valentine soon enough joins us and I start thrashing around to try to escape.

"I believe you have two things that belong to me," Valentine said.

"As we agreed," Hodge said. "Old friend."

Hodge kneed me in my stomach which caused me to fall to my knees as he also pulls out the Mortal Cup from his travelers bag.

"You're a traitor," I groan.

"You have done well, Starkweather," Valentine said. "You have earned your freedom."

My life and the Cup for his freedom?!?

"Thank you," Hodge smiled. "It's been a long time since I've been able to breathe fresh air. To see the outside world with my own eyes."

"Well, take it all in," Valentine said. "The world is about to change."

Valentine walks towards a blood tank and dips the cup inside.

"Let the Cup purify this blood," Valentine said.

The crimson red turned into gold. He approached people on the ship.

"Only the worthy shall survive," Valentine said.

"I'm ready," a man said confidently.

"Then drink," Valentine said.

He handed the Cup to the man as he brought it to his lips and drank. He threw the liquid up and fell to the floor.

"Is he dead," Hodge asked.

The man rose off the floor and stood up.

"No," Valentine answered.

He retrieved a Seraph blade and handed it to the first man who drank and survived. The blade lit up at his touch.

"He's a Shadow Hunter," Valentine said.

Valentine continued to pass the Cup along as he runed everyone who survived. He told them to find Clary and Jace.

"What do you need Jace and Clary for, we already have the Cup," Hodge asked.

"We," Valentine asked.

"Yes," Hodge said.

"I promised you your freedom, Starkweather. Nothing else," Valentine said.

"Have I not proven my loyalty to you," Hodge asked.

"You've only proven your willingness to betray it," Valentine said. "Do you really think that I would allow a traitor into my ranks?"