"Lord Raffael. Here to collect these dragons for my brother - Lord Carlos," the lord spoke in a clipped voice, saying no more than necessary. "Now, if you would let me pass..." He had started to walk forwards before he had even finished the sentence. The guard barely had time to shuffle out of the way, allowing us to exit the building.

Warmth coated my back as I stepped into the sunshine. Humans milled around the streets, most of them wearing either dull, or dark robes. Paying little attention to them, I glanced at my surroundings desperately.

There!

Beside the entrance of the huge, dark building, was a large trough. As I had expected, it was completely covered in dirt and grit. But I was used to it, after so long at Fehïrk.

Not wasting another moment, I bounded across to the trough, eagerly drinking the water. The other four dragons did the same, but I paid them no heed as I swallowed as much water as I could, easing my burning throat almost instantly.

Too busy gulping down the water, I did not care that humans were bustling down a street that would have otherwise been too close for my liking. Nor did I care that five dragons with their heads submerged in a single tough must have been a strange sight for the humans.

Satiated, I finally stepped away, turning towards Lord Raffael. He was not where he had been when I had dashed for the water; instead waiting at the far end of the building, further away from all the other humans. How long had he been waiting there?

Unease prickling my scales, I glanced around the small area. Humans were everywhere. They could have done anything to us whilst we were drinking. Stupid, I thought to myself. With so many humans around, I should have at least considered our safety.

Cautiously, I approached the lord. There was no where else to go, but to him. But Lord Raffael merely glanced at me, before watching the other dragons. Impatiently waiting for them to return to him. It was only when the Black Beast stopped drinking, did he begin to speak in a hushed voice.

"This is your chance to escape," he murmured in a low and urgent voice, crouching down beside the bright red drake's tail. With wide eyes, I watched as his hand fiddled with the ring that rendered the tail fins useless. "Once I've gotten the tail fin off you, don't wait. Fly away immediately. But first... promise me something."

Unable to comprehend his words, I stared at him disbelief. Escape. All I had ever wanted, and now, it was offered by a human. Just for one promise in which he could not understand we'd agree too!

"Promise me, if I set you free, you will do everything you can to save other captured dragons at Fehïrk," the lord instructed, shaking the ring off the red dragon. Almost immediately, he jumped to my tail, gesturing for the red drake to go.

"I promise," I snorted, hoping that he'd understand my grunt. Even if he didn't... I meant it anyway. Rescuing the other captured dragons was too good an idea. After so long yearning to be rescued myself, I would be free. And then I'd start rescuing others.

"Thank you," Lord Raffael murmured softly.

I froze. There was no way that the lord could have understood me. Absolutely no way. Humans did not understand dragons. Ever. Perhaps he had merely just understood my grunt to mean that I promised.

Deciding that I had to know for sure, I shook my head. "No. Thank you for freeing us," I snorted, turning my head around to watch his reaction carefully.

Lord Raffael said nothing, but a sad expression momentarily passed across his face as his warm hands brushed against my tail fin. How strange it was, to have human fingers fiddling with the cold ring clasping my tail fin shut! Yet there was no doubt that he was taking it off.