Chapter 21: Judgement Hall

Sam walks down the hall slowly. Taking in the light and the scenery. The floor is made with nice yellow tiles, giving the room a golden feel to it.

Sam walks mindlessly down the hall. Not realizing the presence as someone enters the room. Until they hear a small cough. They stop dead in their tracks as they turn to face the monster. A familiar voice echos off the walls. It was Sans, Sans the skeleton.

"Heya. You've been busy, huh?"

Sans chuckles a little. He knows Sam killed everyone. The monster dust on their sweater proves it. Sans closes his eyes as he speaks.

"So, I've got a question for ya. Do you think even the worse person can change...? That everybody can be a good person, if they just try?"

Sam takes a step toward Sans without thinking. He is in the way, he must die like his brother. Sam grips the knife tightly as the locket swings from side to side.

"Heh heh heh. All right. Well, here's a better question."

Sans opens his eyes to reveal pitch black nothingness. His pupils are gone and there is nothing left. They seem to stare deep into Sam's soul.

"Do you wanna have a bad time?"

A wave of anger flows over Sam. They feel themselves losing a bit of control here. The exit is close, a small skeleton can't stop them.

"Because if you take another step forward. You are REALLY not going to like what happens next."

Sam takes a heavy step forward. Raising the knife in their hands.

"Welp. Sorry, old lady. This is why I never make promises."

Sam's soul emerges and attaches itself to their chest. The soul is so strong, they feel as if it's a entire part of them now. Which, relatively speaking, it is. A battle begins, but the buttons are grey at first. Sans speaks quickly.

"Its a beautiful day outside. Birds are singing, flowers are blooming. On days like these, kids like you..."

Sans opens his eyes and gives Sam a death stare. Sam glares back and the voice in their head whispers to them.

"Get ready."

"SHOULD BE BURNING IN HELL."

Sans pulls Sam into the battle zone and uses gravity to throw them to the ground. Sans summon a massive row of bones that scrape and bruise them. Then he summons a huge skeleton cannon. The voice describes it as a "gaster-blaster" but to be honest they don't care about names right now. The gaster blasters surround Sam and give them little time to react. A giant laser attacks them, and they die.

Sam returns to the save point in the hall and Sans is already waiting for them. They walk up to Sans, expecting the same speech from earlier. But surprisingly, his dialogue changes. Like he knows he killed Sam once before. Quite creepy really, this guy can remember the events before a save point reset?

"Heya. You look frustrated about something. Guess I'm pretty good at my job, huh?"

The battle begins again, and Sans says the opening speech once more. When he throws Sam to the ground this Time, they are ready. Their soul is blue, which they quickly learned gravity applies to them. They jump high to avoid the first bone attack, but end up getting hit by the next one.

Sam staggers to the center of the arena as the gaster blasters appear. They Dodge a few but more show up. Sam screams as they get shot in the face. They die again.

"Keep trying."

Sam wakes up at the save point once again. They stare down the hall and Sans is glaring back at them. Sam raises their knife and run at him. Sans's words echo through the hall as he watches them run.

"Hmm, that expression. Thats the expression of someone who's died twice in a row. Suffice to say, you look really... unsatisfied. All right, how about we make it a third?"

The battle begins and Sam is quickly thrown to the ground. They quickly dodge the bones and survive with a graze. They leap out the way of the gaster blasters as well. They've survived Sans's opening move.

"Always wondered why people don't use their strongest attack first." Sans chuckles.

The battle truly begins and Sam pushes the fight button and leaps at Sans. But get this; Sans dodges the attack! Sam feels like they're gonna have a bad time.

"What you think I'm just gonna stand there and take it?"

Sans turns Sam's soul blue and applies gravity to the field. The counter attack is like one big platformer game. Jump and avoid the bones, or die. Sam feels their sins crawling down their back. Eventually they get hit, and die.

They respawn and approach Sans again and again. Every time they die Sans chuckles and says a different line of dialogue.

"Thats the expression or someone who's died thrice in a row. Hey, what comes after thrice anyway? Wanna help me find out?"

Battle begins. Sam dies. Battle ends. Sans is surprisingly agile and brutal.

"Thats the expression of someone who's died quice in a row. Quice? Frice? Welp, won't have to use it again anyways."

Sam tried, they really did. But Sans always caught them off guard. They've died so many times, Sans decided to not keep count. Now he says the same thing over and over.

"Lets just get to the point."

Eventually, Sam gets lucky. They dodged Sans's attacks and Sans dodged theirs. Sans has gotten tired of this back and forth. They end up sparing Sam.

"You, uh, really like swinging that sword around, huh? Listen. I know you didn't answer me before, but somewhere in there. I can feel it. There's a glimmer of a good person inside if you. The memory of someone who once wanted to do the right thing. Someone who, in another time, might have been... a friend? C'mon, buddy. Do you remember me? Please, if you're listening... let's forget all this, ok? Just lay down your weapon, and... well, my job will be a lot easier."

Sam looks down. What have they become? Maybe Sans was right, maybe they could of been friends with the monsters instead.

"No, he's open now. KILL HIM!"

Sam ignores the voice in their head, and decides to drop their knife. The knife falls out of their hands and the sound of it hitting the floor echos. They click the MERCY button, and spare Sans. Maybe this is the right thing to do.

"You're... sparing me? Finally. Buddy. Pal. I know how hard it must be to make that choice. To go back on everything you've worked up to. I want you to know... I won't let it go to waste. C'mere, pal."

Sam staggers toward Sans with open arms. Maybe just this once. They can be friends with a monster?

Swoosh!

A bone goes right through them and they drop to the floor. More bones stab right through Sam and Sans shrugs like it was all one big trap. Sam gets stabbed multiple times with no chance of escape, and they die.

They were wrong. There is no more mercy to give.