Chapter Seven: Heartache

Toriel blocks the way. The exit to the Ruins is right there. But it is unreachable. Toriel's hands glow with a magical fire attack. If Sam wanted to get past her, they would have to fight their way through.

Sam raises their toy knife. With the LOVE and exp they gained from clearing the Ruins of monsters, they feel powerful. They are determined. They know they have the strength to strike down Toriel with a single blow. But, will they?

Toriel is the only one in the Ruins that actually cared. She saved them from Flowey the flower. She showed them how the Ruins works. She gave them a home with butterscotch-cinnamon pie. Surely she is worth sparing, right?

Sam taps the Mercy button and spares Toriel. When they did, a small but noticable headache began. Something was telling them to kill her. Sam lowers their knife and dodges Toriel's flurry of fire magic.

Maybe if they don't fight back, Toriel will understand. Sam spares once more, their head grows dizzy. Toriel takes a deep breath and sends another short wave of magic. Sam gets hit and their clothes catch fire. But their health only lowers a bit.

Sam spares again and stands their ground. Toriel is starting to act strange, but she attacks anyway. More fire strikes Sam, they feel their health halfway gone. But they are still determined. They continue to spare Toriel.

"What are you doing?" Toriel yells. "Fight or run away!"

A surge of fire magic hits Sam once more, their health is surely going down. Toriel's expression changes to one of deep confusion. Still, she send another wave of fire towards Sam.

"What are you proving this way!" Toriel cries out.

The headache grows, and a heartache begins. Sam can't take this much longer. If Toriel doesn't move, they will have to move her. But they still spare and brace themselves for another attack. Their health is critical, Toriel... wouldn't kill them would she?

"Stop it, stop looking at me that way!" Toriel's eyes fill with small tears as she sends fire magic across the room.

But none of the flames are hitting Sam. Toriel knows if she hits them, Sam will die. She's trying to stall. Toriel is trying to make Sam give up. But still, they spare.

Toriel runs out of words and her attacks are going nowhere near Sam. Its become a massive staring contest. Sam spares as their soul is weak and their head fills with rage. Toriel stops fighting altogether.

"I know you want to go home, but... please go upstairs now. I promise I will take good care of you here. I know we do not have much but... we can have a good life here. Why are you making this so difficult child? Please, go upstairs."

Toriel's expression changes to a small smile as she starts to give in.

"Pathetic is it not? I cannot even save a small child."

Sam's headache turns intense. Its like an itch that won't stop. A crazed desire. Their soul and their mind are screaming. Kill her, she stands in the way. Anything that stands in our way shall die. They raise their toy knife and close their eyes as they push the fight button.

Maybe if I do it the headache will stop. If I do this, I'll be one step closer to home. She was nice, but she is still a monster. They kill humans, don't they?

Sam strikes down Toriel when she least expects it. Her expression turns into pure shock as she drops to one knee. Her final words echo throughout the Ruins.

"Y-You.... at my list vulnerable moment. To think I was worried you wouldn't fit in out there... eheheheheh! You really are no different than them! Ha... Ha."

Toriel's body turns to dust, and her pure white monster soul emerges. Then snaps. Then explodes into pieces. Sam's soul fades away and the room turns normal. The battle is over, Toriel is dead.

The exit to the Ruins opens at last, and Sam steps through. The headache is gone but their soul is still weak. Hopefully a save point is nearby. The room they step into is a long corridor.

The floor of the corridor change from dark purple to pink as Sam walks down it. Until suddenly, it stops. The end is a massive doorway without a door. Leading into a pitch black room, that looks oddly familiar.

Sam steps into the pitch black room and their expression turns into one of surprise. The room is an exact copy of the area where they were almost killed by Flowey the flower. Even Flowey, stood before them. Flowey lived through Toriel's fireball?

"Hahaha.. you're not really human, are you?" Flowey's expression turns into a creepy face filled with horror. "No. You're empty inside. Just like me. In fact..."

Flowey's expression changes again to one of questioning and curiosity.

"You're Chara, right?" Flowey smiles at the thought. "We're still inseparable after all these years..."

Sam is confused, is Flowey mistaking them for someone else? Who is this 'Chara' and why did he call them not human? But Flowey continued talking.

"Listen. I have a plan to become all powerful. Even more powerful than you and your stolen soul. Lets destroy everything in this wretched world."

Flowey's face transforms into one that looks like Toriel. Creepy, but wonderful.

"Everyone, everything in these worthless memories. Lets turn them all to dust."

Flowey's face turns into full fledged horror as they let out a evil laugh. "Thats a wonderful idea!"

Then, they vanish. Sam walk to the end of the room. The end of the Ruins. A big door that feels cold. The strange symbol from Toriel's dress is on top of the doorway. But they ignore it as they push the door open and walk outside the Ruins.

A bright light fills their eyes as the new surroundings form. A chill runs through them but is partially blocked out because of the striped sweater they are wearing. The new area is huge. There is snow on the ground and trees as well. A huge snowy forest.

How is there a snowy forest underground? Seems a bit impossible. But, so does holding an entire slice of pie in your pocket and Sam is doing it anyways. Sam walks on the forest path and heads straight.

Questions form in their head as they walk down the path. What is Flowey planning? Who is Chara? How does it snow underground? What was that headache when I began to spare a monster?

Sam sees a stick on the floor. They step over it. They already have one after all. But a few paces afterwards, they hear a snap! They do an about-face and raise their toy knife. The stick has been broken. They are not alone.

They turn back around and begin walking further down the snowy path. They hear footsteps behind them, but walk on. They walk until they reach a massive hole in the ground. There is a arched gateway with a bridge over the hole, so nobody can fall.

As they stop, the footsteps get closer. Sam feels the stranger approach them slowly. The footsteps stop as the newcomer stands right behind Sam's neck. The stranger speaks slowly.

"Human. Don't you know how to greet a new pal? Turn around, and shake my hand."