Chapter One: Fallen Down

Rumors say that once you climb Mt. Ebott, you never return. They say the place is haunted. Strange noises can be heard all over the place and plants & vines grow everywhere. Everyone stays away from that place, fearing death. Except the children. The kids who don't feel special. The ones that need a place to escape to; A sanctuary. 

A human child wearing a purple sweater with pink stripes climbs up the mountain. Lets nickname the human "Sam". Of course, that is not the human's actual name and is far from the truth. But at the time, the name is best kept a secret. Sam is a gender neutral type of name. It could be Sam, or it could be short for Samantha. That being said, the human's actual gender and name are best kept secret for the time being.

Sam comes up here occasionally. The other children don't quite understand them. They call Sam names and bullies them. The mountain is the only sanctuary they have. So with a bandage on their cheek, and a stick in their hand they proceed up the mountain.

Vaulting over fallen logs, and maneuvering through vines and leaves. Sam looks around their surroundings. They have gone pretty high up the mountain, into unknown territory. They spot a strange crater not so far from their location. So obviously, they go towards it.

Running through the thick leaves of the trees. Sam spots the massive hole. What is this big discovery? How deep did it lead into the mountain? What kind of treasures lurk beneath? Sam was curious, so it stepped closer to look down into the abyss.

But the massive hole in the ground must of been a distraction! Because the next thing the child knows, they tripped on a vine and fell face first into the massive hole in the earth! The force of the fall causes a massive gust of wind to chill them as they fall. Sam's life flashes before their very eyes. They admit, it was pretty dull.

A flash of yellow emerges from the darkness and within moments, the human hits the ground. Slowly opening their eyes, Sam finds out they are not dead after all! The flash of yellow was a patch of golden flowers that cushioned Sam's fall. Sam brings themselves to their feet and look up.

The massive hole they fell into looms above. Impossible to climb back up, cant escape the way they came in. Sam looks around the cave, trying to get a gist of their new surroundings. There seems to be a path here in the darkness. So eventually the path must lead to an exit right? Sam shrugs and decides to follow the path.

The path leads to a strange rusted door, with a weird symbol on it. Some sort of Triangle thing with wings. The door seems to still be in working condition, as it slides open effortlessly. In the next room, there is a small dark space. There is a big purple door at the end of the room. A golden flower at the center of the room, and the path.

Sam walks towards the middle of the room while focusing on the big purple door. Until they got a good look at the golden flower in the center. The flower seems to be grinning at them! With actual eyes and teeth! That can't be right, can it? Flowers don't have faces, this is unnatural! 

"Howdy, im Flowey!" The Flower says with a smile, "Flowey the flower!"

The flower, spoke. Sam could barely process this strange turn of events! They fell down a huge hole, and now they are talking to a flower. Clearly they must of hit their head when they fell on that patch of flowers back there! Flowers don't talk!

"Hmm, you're new to the underground aren'tcha?" Flowey continues, "Golly, you must be so confused!"
"Someone ought to teach you how things work around here!"
"I guess little old me will have to do!"
"Ready? Here we go!"

Before Sam could process everything the strange talking flower said, something began to glow. A Bright red glow began in their chest, and with a quick popping sound something emerged! It was a big red heart shaped thing of energy. Sam felt a little bit weak once it flew outside of their body. The Flower began to explain the situation.

"See that heart?" Flowey explains, "That is your SOUL, the very culmination of your being!"

Things are getting weirder, and weirder. There's no way your soul can be some heart shaped magical floating thing! Soul's aren't something you see, its something you feel! Sam began to realize that the underground seems to be a place of magic and wonder. With a bit of effort, the soul began to move around the room. They figured out all it took was a thought, and their soul would obey. Right, left, up and down. It was like walking on two feet!

"Your soul starts off weak" Flowey explained, "But can grow strong if you gain a lot of LV"
"What does LV stand for?" 
"Why LOVE of course!"
"You want some LOVE don't you?" Flowey winks and grins, "Don't worry, i'll share some with you!"

"What a friendly flower!" Sam thought as he moved his soul to the center of the room to receive some LOVE. Maybe Flowey knows the way out of this place! This doesn't seem so bad after all. Learning some new things about the world, and meeting a talking plant! Mt. Ebott wasn't so scary after all.

"Down here LOVE is shared through... little white, friendliness pellets." Flowey says as small white pellets come out from behind his back and hover next to him.

"Are you ready?" Flowey says happily with a big smile on his face. "Move around! Get as many as you can!"

The friendliness pellets dash toward the Sam's soul. Sam urges their soul forward, so absorb as many pellets as possible. If these tiny white spheres can help, might as well obtain as much as possible right? The soul touches the glowing white pellets. Only to receive a massive jolt of pain.

Sam falls to the ground in pain! It hurt, a whole lot! They wasn't bleeding but they could feel the pain. Their soul was cracked, like its been hit hard with some kind of hammer. Tears roll down the humans cheeks. This, can't be LOVE. Flowey laughs mercilessly and his tone of voice turns from light and cheery to something dark and sinister.

"You idiot!" Flowey's face turns into a evil grin as he watches Sam squirm with terror. "In this world, its kill or be killed. Why would anybody pass up an opportunity like this?"

Sam screams in pain as  Flowey summons a ring of white bullets. There is no escape. The ring of bullets surround the human as they look at Flowey with tears making their vision blurry. Flowey does not show mercy, and with a final word he begins to move the bullets toward the human child.

"DIE."

Sam closes their eyes and wait for death. This is why no one returns from the mountain? They are murdered by plants? Sam sobs quietly as the bullet comes an inch from their soul. But just as they are about to die, something amazing happens. A ball of fire comes from the shadows and knocks Flowey away. The bullets vanish and the cracks on the human's soul vanishes. A warm glow of life fills them once more. Someone saved them from Flowey?

Sam wipes their tears and look up. Someone has entered the room. A lady, wearing a purple dress with the same strange symbol from the door they've seen earlier. With a better view, the human find out the lady is not a lady at all! They are a monster just like the talking flower. Only this time, she was some kind of goat? Goat people and evil talking flowers, the underground was a place that took a while to get used to.

"What a terrible creature, torturing a poor innocent youth..." The goat lady says with a sigh as they look down at the human child. "Ah, do not be afraid my child. I am Toriel, caretaker of the ruins."

"I pass through this place everyday to see if anyone has fallen down." Toriel explains with sweetness in her voice. "You are the first human to come down here in a long time."

Sam's soul returns back into the child's chest. It felt a little ticklish as it slides right inside, but it makes Sam feel safe. Sam brings themselves to their feet and wipes away their tears as Toriel speaks once more.

"Come, i will guide you through the catacombs."

With that, the goat lady walks off to the big purple door by the end of the room. Sam slowly follows after her. First impressions are a key factor to humans. The underground made a pretty bad first impression for them. Almost being killed by a flower? That does not sound pleasant at all.

Toriel slips through the door and into the ruins. The child looks back at the empty patch of grass where Flowey used to be. Did that flower die? He seems to have gotten away from the fireball, but Sam couldn't be so sure. One thing they are sure of though, is the flower's words. Maybe down here, its kill or be killed after all.