Chapter Twelve: Disbelief

Entering Snowdin Town Sam noticed one thing. It was too quiet. The town must be deserted or asleep. Sam walked past a massive welcome sign and stopped in front of a shop.

Outside the shop was a save point and one of those boxes they ran into on the box road. After saving, they open to box and peek inside. To their surprise, their items where inside! It really is a teleporting box! Sam tosses in their leftover monster candy into the box before entering the shop.

But nobody came. They entered the shop but nobody was there. Their urges told them to steal what was left out. They jump over the counter and rummage through the belongings. They find a bandanna, some cinnamon buns, and a bisicle. Bisicle meaning, two Popsicles stuck together.

They rummage the cash register and find 758 gold. Stuffing their belongings into their pockets they walk out of the shop and past the box. There seems to be a small inn next to the shop. It looks useless, so Sam ignores it.

In the middle of the town is a large Christmas tree. There is a small monster without arms standing around the tree. The only sign of life in the town. Sam walks up to the little monster kid and it speaks to them.

"Yo, everyone ran away and his somewhere. Man, adults can be so dumb sometimes, haha. Don't they know we've got Undyne to protect us?"

There's that name again, Undyne. Whoever this Undyne chick is, she seems pretty tough. Walking further down the town Sam spots a small restaurant. The sign on top says "Grillbys". Sam peeks inside but the tables and chairs are empty. Everyone did run and hide somewhere after all.

In the middle of town there is a small path heading north, it seems to be another dead end and a complete waste of time. Sam ignores it and continues walking east through the town. They pass a library, full of boring little books probably.

At the end of the town, they reach a tall wooden house with snow on the roof and lights all over the place. There are two mailboxes in front of the house. One is full of junk mail and is impossible to read what it says. But the other mailbox is empty with a label that reads "PAPYRUS".

The giant house must belong to Sans and Papyrus then, how strange. The door is locked and the lights are on inside. Sam ignores the house and decides to just leave Snowdin altogether. So, they walk out the village.

When the village ends, a snowstorm begins. There is an ice cold river behind the trees. A huge amount of snowflakes fill the air and it becomes hard to see. Soon, Sam's entire vision turns white. They eventually see a dark tall figure in the distance. Soon, an familiar voice yells out at them.

"HALT, HUMAN!"

Sam takes a few steps forward as a headache begins. A headache they remember all too well. It reminds them of their battle with Toriel. They then realize what must be done.

"HEY, QUIT MOVING WHILE I'M TALKING TO YOU! I, THE GREAT PAPYRUS, HAS SOME THINGS TO SAY. FIRST: YOU'RE A FREAKING WEIRDO!"

Wait, what? Did the tall annoying skeleton just call Sam a weirdo?

"NOT ONLY DO YOU NOT LIKE PUZZLES. BUT THE WAY YOU SHAMBLE ABOUT FROM PLACE TO PLACE. THE WAY YOUR HANDS ARE ALWAYS COVERED IN DUSTY POWER. IT FEELS... LIKE YOUR LIFE IS GOING DOWN A DANGEROUS PATH."

Sam looks down at their hands. It is covered with white dust. The dust that forms when a monster dies. Monster ashes.

"HOWEVER! I, PAPYRUS, SEE GREAT POTENTIAL WITHIN YOU! EVERYONE CAN BE A GREAT PERSON IF THEY TRY! AND ME, I HARDLY HAVE TO TRY AT ALL!"

Sam moves closer. Great potential? Sam feels it too. They have the potential to get revenge for all the fallen humans who have died. They have the potential to escape the Underground. They have the potential to erase the entire monster population!

"HEY, QUIT MOVING! THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT! HUMAN! I THINK YOU ARE IN NEED OF GUIDANCE! SOMEONE NEEDS TO KEEP YOU ON THE STRAIGHT AND NARROW! BUT WORRY NOT! I, PAPYRUS... WILL GLADLY BE YOUR FRIEND AND TUTOR! I WILL TURN YOUR LIFE RIGHT AROUND!"

Sam walks closer, cletching their fists. Friends? With a monster? Dont make me laugh. The headache pounds and they can hear a small whisper in the back of their mind. The words however, can not be made out.

"I SEE YOU ARE APPROACHING. ARE YOU OFFERING A HUG OF ACCEPTANCE? WOWIE, MY LESSONS ARE ALREADY WORKING! I, PAPYRUS, WELCOME YOU WITH OPEN ARMS!"

A fight begins and Sam's soul glues themselves onto their chest. A hug of acceptance? How stupid is this skeleton. Sam pushes the fight button as the whisper in their head grows into clear words. They want Papyrus dead.

Papyrus gets struck with a heavy blow and their skeleton head falls off and into the snow.

"W-WELL. THATS NOT WHAT I EXPECTED..."

Papyrus's body fades into white monster dust. His head gets stuck in the snow as Sam looks down upon him.

"BUT... STILL! I BELIEVE IN YOU! YOU CAN DO A LITTLE BETTER! EVEN IF YOU DON'T THINK SO! I... I PROMISE."

Papyrus's head slowly dissolves into monster dust as he dies. The battle ends and the snow storm stops. Sam feels themselves get stronger as they equip the manly bandanna they stole from the store. Without looking back, they leave Snowdin.

They walk forward, following the river. Into a large cave with many waterfalls. The first thing they spot is a save point next to a light blue flower. The little monster kid. From Snowdin is here as well. Sam ignores Monster Kid at first to save.

To their surprise, the red text appears again. 18 left. There are 18 monsters in the Waterfall area. They heal themselves and continue walking east to find and hunt down these monsters. They are determined.