Chapter Ten: Dogs

Sam ponders on this question for quite a while. Why did the number change from 16 to 15? Surely they must of done something! They shrug it off as they walk into the next area.

The forest seems to end a bit in this new area. But the only thing past the snow is a bottomless void. Its best to stick on the snow path for now. Sam takes a look around.

The next area is huge and full of snow. There is a sign that says "warning: dog marriage." Okay, that's pretty weird. But weird is normal down here, it's the Underground after all.

They head south and notice a puzzle has already been solved. Or, that's what it looks like anyway. There are spiked tiles in the snow, but the spikes have already vanished. At least it won't be annoying like the Ruins I guess.

Sam walks right over the spiked tiles. When suddenly a tall monster wearing armour springs out and attacks! Sam's soul springs to life as usual as the fight begins. Taking a look at the monster, Sam notices it's... a dog.

Lesser Dog. A monster that walks on two legs and holds a sword and shield. The shield has the symbol from Toriel's dress on it! That symbol must be pretty important to monsters.

Sam activates the fight button and lands powerful blows on the Lesser Dog. The dog barely survives. As a counter attack, the dog summons some sort of pure white dog to run at Sam. There no dodging this small thing.

Sam gets hit by the small dog, but it only hurts a little. Lesser Dog has a lot of armour, but in reality they are weak. Sam kills them with one punch. Man was that easy.

Sam walks right when the battle ends. But are stopped in their tracks as two new monsters approach them. The new monsters are wearing black cloaks and hoods. They have each are gripping an axe in one hand. They speak out loud to no one in particular.

"What's that smell?"

"Where's that smell?"

"If you're a smell..."

"Identify yoursmellf!"

The hooded figures then frantically run around Sam. Sniffing the air with huge noses. They can't see with the hoods over their eyes. So apparently they smell to get around. They each stop on both sides of Sam.

"Hmm. Here's that weird smell. It makes me want to eliminate. Eliminate you!"

Sam jumps back as their soul springs to life again! The two hooded monsters fling off their hoods and grip their axes. They are dogs as well!

One dog is a boy, the other is a girl. they seem to be snuggling their noses together. This must be the dog marriage that sign meant. Sam has no choice but to fight them both at once.

Pushing the fight button, Sam attacks the boy dog first. The dog survives and yells out at Sam. Sam is pulled into the battle zone as a similar white dog attack from the Lesser Dog battle appears. But this one is different.

The white dog this time barks a ring of white and blue hearts. The hearts kinda resemble Sam's soul, but they know it's a trick. Sam runs around to Dodge the hearts. But they notice the ring is moving to fast to Dodge!

Sam stands still and braces for impact. But the pain never came. A blue heart passed right through Sam's body. What exactly was that? Do blue attacks only hurt when you move? The buttons appear again and Sam punches the boy dog once more.

The dog still survives. But barely. Sam gets ready for the ring of hearts again. But this next counter attack was new. Their axes grew and filled the battle zone. They flew over Sam and slammed down on them. It hurt, a lot.

The buttons appeared again and Sam finishes off the boy dog. The girl dog's eyes widen and she pulls Sam into the battle zone. She uses the axe attack again, only faster. The battle zone is smaller than usual and there's no way to Dodge this attack. Sam gets hit and feels their health lower a bit more.

The battle continues this way until Sam successfully kills the girl dog as well. A massive amount of gold form on the floor as the fight ends and the snow comes back. Sam picks it up and dusts themselves off. They walk downwards and toward the next area.

This next area seemed to be some sort of weird puzzle as well. But like the last one, the spikes are already gone! Sam ignores this coincidence and simply walks on. The next area is like the previous one, a large puzzle that's already completed. Sam skips that one too.

That walk until they reach a room that's different. Sans and Papyrus are standing on the other side of some small square on the floor. The square looks like weird disco tiles. It must be another puzzle.

"HEY! ITS THE HUMAN! YOU'RE GONNA LOVE THIS PUZZLE! IT WAS MADE BY THE GREAT...."

Sam ignores Papyrus and walks straight into the middle of the disco floor tiles. They do not like puzzles. It is a waste of time.

"ARE YOU SERIOUS? SANS!!! HELP!!! THEY KEEP WALKING THROUGH MY PUZZLES! THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO LET ME EXPLAIN THEM. THEN THREATEN AND BAFFLE THEM WITH DANGEROUS JAPES."

"Well, maybe they don't like japes."

"EVERYONE LIKES JAPES!!!"

Meanwhile, Sam has no idea what a jape even is. Is it some sort of weird riddle? But Sans and Papyrus keep talking.

"What about Undyne? Doesn't she hate puzzles?"

"SHE HATES PUZZLES. BUT SHE LOVES JAPES."

"That makes sense."

"HUMAN!! WHAT DO YOU THINK!? PUZZLES OR JAPES?"

An awkward silence fills the air. Sam does not answer the question. Mainly because it is stupid and they don't know what a jape even is. Why should they answer a silly question anyways? They don't have time for this. Papyrus gets slightly annoyed.

"OKAY, THIS IS NORMALLY THE PART. WHERE YOU EITHER AGREE OR DISAGREE. DEPENDING ON YOUR ANSWER... WE SAY SOMETHING GREAT IN RESPONSE."

Nope. Sam stays silent. There is literally no sound at all. Not even a gust of wind blows. Pretty boring. Papyrus gives in eventually.

"HERE, WHY DON'T YOU DO THIS PUZZLE BY YOURSELF."

Papyrus leaves instructions on how to work the weird disco puzzle on the floor, and slowly walks into the next area. Leaving Sans standing there by himself. Sam decides to follow after Papyrus.

The next area has one of those dog sentry stations again. This time, there is no dog inside. There is however a sign and a save point. The sign reads; "AWARE OF DOG. Pleas pet dog."

There aren't really any dogs in the area. So that is slightly impossible to do. Sam walks to the save point and heals. Checking the red text once more, they notice it changed. "14 left."

What is making the number go down? Something must be going on.