Chapter Nineteen: The Core

Sam raises their burnt pan and defeats Muffet the spider queen in a single blow. She fades into monster dust and the webbing against their feet break away. A spider brings a flower and lays it on the spot Muffet died. The battle ends and Sam wipes leftover strands of web off their pants.

What a shame really, Sam was expecting a stronger  opponent. They walk to the end of the cobweb filled room and out the back door. Directly outside the door is a poster with that strange robot from before.

Apparently its name is Mettaton. The poster describes the robots latest stage performance. Its a tragic tale of two star-crossed lovers, kept apart by the tides of fate. A cheesy romance play basically. Looking closer at the poster, Sam realizes its almost time for the performance!

Sam continues walking east and finds themselves in a huge room. Theres houses in the distance, and massive stairway. There is also a huge pathway continuing east, which seems like the right direction.

Waking east made them run into two sets of stairs, and an elevator. One set of stairs seemed to descend a little and into deactivated puzzle. The other set of stairs lead up and toward some sort of hotel. Sam decided to walk up the stairs and head for the hotel. But before they could go in, they got distracted by a piece of paper lying on the ground.

"Hey! Go up the creepy alleyway on the right for dome great deals!" The paper reads.

Sam decided to follow the papers instructions and see what's in the alleyway to the right. It ended up bring a strange back alley shop. Sam snooped around and stole a lot of merchandise. They replaced the frying pan and their pink Tutu with a cowboy hat and an empty gun. They also ended up taking a lot of junk food to eat for later.

After a short while, Sam left the alley. Entering the hotel lobby they come face to face with a save point. The save point however, was in front of a hideous fountain shaped like Mettaton. There was one of those teleporting boxes next to the save point. Sam ended up digging around and tossing out all their old junk. Leaving the snowman pieces and butterscotch pie slice and some other neccesities.

Looking up, they scanned the Hotel. It was mostly empty. But the restaraunt lights where on, a monster was inside. Some strange weirdo was working the register when Sam walked in. Their pockets where full of Junk food from Catty and Bratty's Alleyway shop do they had no room to buy anything here. They ended up talking to the cashier instead, who's nametag read "BurgerPants".

Sam asked Burger Pants about the evacuation. Where exactly is everyone? The red text from the save point indicate there are still 35 rouge monsters that did not yet evacuate.

"Evacuation? You're yanking my chain little weirdo. So what if everybody left work? So what if nobody is buying anything! Par for the course little weirdo. Par for the course."

Sam then asked him about Mettaton. Due to all the signs, and the strange fountain in the lobby. It seems that Mettaton owns this place. Does that make the robot Burger Pants's boss?

"Well, Mettaton didnt tell me i HAD to work, I guess. But thats the thing! Sometimes he doesn't even call me into work until halfway into my shift! If i dont play it safe, hes going to yell at me. Okay, so maybe 'yell' is the erong term. Its more like, he has this CD album he plays. Thats entirely full of songs about how bad I am at my job."

Okay, so its pretty easy to say that Burger Pants is a weirdo. Sam leaves their shop and heads to the back of the hotel. There is a massive sign with the word "CORE" in big neon letters. The core of the Underground! Of course, that place had to be full of monsters right?

So opening the door and walking out of the hotel, Sam walks into the huge machine they've seen earlier The Core. They are greeted with two passage ways and a working elevator in the middle. Sam closes their eyes and randomly chose between the three paths. Left door, right door,  or elevator?

Left door it was! Sam walked on through the left passage and down a hall. They took a look around the Core and found themselves surrounded with techonology. They ended up making multiple twists and turns. Eventually getting lose in the Core. Finding a hamburger with edible glitter on it from a trashcan, and also some gold in another.

The exciting part where the monsters. Sam's guess I was correct, and they found the 35 remaining monsters scattered around the Core. There was a Final Froggit, which seemed like a crazy evolved version of a Froggit from the Ruins. There was a Whimsalot, which was basically a Whimsun with a helmet. Sam had to switch from the old gun and back to the frying Pan to defeat them more efficiently.

There was a massive demon in armour called a Knight Knight. With the Knight Knight was a floating wizard monster called a Madjick. Sam ended up eating a lot of the stolen junk food just to stay alive.

There was also a strange monster that resembled an eye? Or maybe Sam was seeing things. This thing was called an Astigmatism. Sam ended up running around and finding a few save points to stay alive and healthy. Eventually they found the end of the Core as well.

There was a save point beside a huge glowing doorway. The elevator from earlier is here as well, at least Sam can return to the hotel easily if needed.  With all the monsters dead, the red text  faded and the determination appears once more. They proceed into the massive glowing doorway.

Inside was a dark and empty stage. Well, not entirely empty due to the fact that Mettaton the robot stood waiting in the center of it. They had a red screen, surely filled with anger. A robotic voice confronts Sam as they approach.

"MY, MY. SO YOU'VE FINALLY ARRIVED. AFTER OUR FIRST MEETING I REALIZED... SOMETHING GHASTLY. YOU'RE NOT JUST A THREAT TO MONSTERS BUT HUMANITY, AS WELL."

That's the second time someone said that. Has the Underground transformed them into some sort of beast? They are simply doing what must be done, right? If anyone crosses your path, surely you smite them down. The entire monster species has crossed Sam's path. They must be dealt with.

"OH MY. THAT'S AN ISSUE. YOU SEE, I CANT BE A STAR WITHOUT AN AUDIENCE. BESIDES, THERE ARE SOME PEOPLE... I WANT TO PROTECT."

Sam holds up the frying pan and takes a step towards Mettaton. Fury fills their eyes. A whisper in their mind emerges as they feel a battle almost begin.

"You are so close. Just strike him down."

"EAGER AS ALWAYS EH? BUT DON'T TOUCH THAT DIAL. THERE'S SOMETHING YOU HAVEN'T ACCOUNTED FOR. AS ANY TRUE FAN WOULD KNOW, I WAS FIRST CREATED AS A HUMAN ERADICATION ROBOT. IT WAS ONLY AFTER BECOMING A STAR THAT I WAS GIVEN A MORE... PHOTOGENIC BODY. HOWEVER THOSE ORIGINAL FUNCTIONS HAVE NEVER BEEN FULLY REMOVED. COME ANY CLOSER AND ILL BE FORCED TO SHOW YOU, MY TRUE FORM!"

Sam takes a brave step forward and Mettaton chuckles a robotic laugh.

"READY? ITS SHOWTIME!!"

Their vision turns white as the light of Mettatons transformation fills the room. Sam's soul floats to life, and the battle begins.