Chapter Six: Home

It was warm. The rest of the Ruins was warm sure, but this little building had a cozy warmth feel. There must be something burning nearby. A sweet smell filled the air and filled Sam's nostrils. This must be Toriels house.

"Do you smell that? Surprise! It is a butterscotch-cinnamon pie. I thought we might celebrate your arrival. I want you to have a nice time living here. So I will hold off on snail pie tonight. Here, I have another surprise for you."

Toriel then leaves off into a hallway to the right. Leaving Sam to explore the house a little. This first room is a bit small. The only noticeable thing here is a large stairway leading downwards. But if they are already underground, what could be down there?

Sam heads left, away from Toriel and into a living room of sorts. There is a large bookshelf with lots of large books upon it. Next to the bookshelf is the source of the warmness, a fireplace. The fireplace has a large chair next to it. Seems like the right size for Toriel. The room also has a table with three chairs. Quite odd, since Toriel seems to be living alone. Why would she need three chairs?

Sam ignored this and went upwards and into the kitchen area. The kitchen was small. It had a fridge, a sink, a oven, and a little counter. The stovetop was clean, so Toriel must be using some kind of magic to make food. on the counter was the source of the sweet smell, the butterscotch cinnamon pie. It looks delicious but is way to hot to eat right now.

Sam decides to run off and toward the hallway where Toriel was waiting. She had another surprise to show after all. Maybe its as good as the pie. Toriel takes Sam by the hand and leads them down the hall and to the first door.

"This is it! A room of your own. I hope you like it!" Toriel pets Sam on the head and quickly turns around. "Is something burning...? Un, make yourself at home!"

Toriel runs off and leaves Sam alone to explore their new room. The room is small and filled with alot of belongings. A dresser to store clothes. A little box filled with kids shoes. A lamp, and a box full of toys. What really caught Sam's attention was the bed on the right side.

This entire journey has made Sam pretty tired. After solving puzzles and killing a bunch of monsters, one can only take too much. So they hop into the bed and drift off to sleep.

Hours pass until Sam opens their eyes again. They almost forgot they're still in the Underground. The room light has been switched off, and a slice of butterscotch-cinnamon pie has been left on a plate for them. Toriel must of came by to tuck them in. Sam takes the pie and puts it away.

The Underground must have a magic rule for pockets, because Sam is currently holding monster candy, a stick, a toy knife, and a whole slice of pie! Leaving the room, Sam goes left to find Toriel. They have wasted too many time, it is time to leave the Ruins.

Toriel is found sitting on her chair by the fire place reading a book. She is wearing little reading glasses on her face. It looks good on her, in a strange monster lady kind of way.

"Up already, I see? Um, I want you to know how glad I am to have someone here. There are so many old books I want to share. I want to show you my favorite bug-hunting spot. I've also prepared a curriculum for your education. This may come as a surprise to you... but I have always wanted to be a teacher. Actually, perhaps that isn't very surprising. Still, I am glad to have you living here. Oh! Did you need something? What is it dear?"

Sam asks when they can go home. Sure, Toriel is nice and all. But they don't see a life with her down in the Ruins. There is nothing down here but bugs and puzzles anyway! Not to mention Sam already killed all the monsters.

"What? This... this IS your home now. Um... would you like to hear about this book I am reading? It is called 72 Uses for Snails. How about it?"

Sam asks again. How to exit the Ruins. Toriel is getting a little bit annoying now. Sam can tell she has good intentions, but clearly she can't expect them to sit in the Ruins forever can they?

"Um... how about an exciting snail fact? Did you know that snails... have a chainsaw-like tongue called a radula? Interesting, right?"

Sam screams out for the third and final time. How to exit the Ruins! They are sick of being underground. If Toriel won't show them the way out, they will find it by themselves. Toriel then stands up and puts her book away.

"I have to do something, stay here." She says with a serious expression on her face.

Toriel leaves quickly and Sam hears her footsteps go down the stairway. Sam quickly follows after her. Down the stairway is a long corridor. Toriel is standing there with her back facing Sam. But she knows they are there. Toriel speaks in a serious expression.

"You wish to know how to return 'home' do you not? Ahead of us lies the end of the Ruins. A one-way exit to the rest of the Underground. I am going to destroy it. No one will ever be able to leave again. Now be a good child and go upstairs."

Toriel heads further down the corridor leaving Sam to process this new piece of information. The exit to the rest of the Underground? The Ruins is not the only thing down here? How long is the Underground! Sam runs after Toriel, if she destroys the exit they won't be able to escape! They catch up with Toriel as she begins to speak once more.

"Every human that falls down here meets the same fate. I have seen it again and again. They come. They leave. They die. You naive child... if you leave the Ruins. They... Asgore... will kill you. I am only protecting you. Do you understand? Go to your room."

Toriel heads even further down the corridor. Sam thinks hard. There is some sort of monster that killed the other humans that fell down here? What is this 'Asgore'? Sam is four times stronger than they was when they fell down here. Surely they can survive on their own! Sam runs after Toriel. There is a turn in the corridor, the exit is nearby.

"Do not try to stop me. This is your final warning." Toriel runs towards the exit. With Sam quickly gaining behind her.

The exit to the Ruins is right there. A big purple door with the same symbol as Toriel's dress. The circle with wings, and three triangles underneath it. What does the symbol mean? Probably not important. Toriel stands in front of the door as Sam stood behind her.

"You want to leave so badly? Hmph. You are just like the others. There is only one solution to this. Prove yourself! Prove to me you are strong enough to survive!"

Sam's soul flickers to life as it glues itself to their chest. The room turns pitch black. Toriel and the exit are the only things visible. Toriel turns around to face Sam. Her hands ball into fists as they catch fire. A fight begins.