Chapter Two: Ruined Ruins

The purple door opened up to another small room. Sunlight glistened from above and stairs led up to another doorway. What really caught Sam's eye was a bright yellow star right below the stairs. The star was radiating some sort of warm glow.

Sam slowly walked up to the glowing yellow star and decided to poke it with the stick. All of a sudden, something clicked inside of Sam. Some sort of new feeling washed over them. Looking back at the star, there seems to be a transparent menu screen floating above it. There's only two options, "SAVE" or "RESET".

The shimmering floating menu screen then flashed a little and words appeared. "The shadow of the ruins loom above, filling you with determination". At that moment, strength was flowed into Sam's soul. They pressed SAVE and instantly understood what it meant.

The power of Sam's soul. The determination, it felt good. Determined to get past the ruins and leave the underground for good, Sam walks up the stairs.

Sam walked through the door above the stairs and found themselves in another small room. It had a locked gate at the end of the room. There were various buttons on the floor and a switch on the wall. On the floor there was a row of buttons that seemed to be pointing directly at the switch on the wall. Beside the row of buttons were a few other random ones.

On the wall next to the gate was some sort of sign or plaque. Sam squinted their eyes and could read it from where they stood. It read: "Only the fearless may proceed. Brave ones, foolish ones. Both not walk the middle road". It seemed to be some sort of strange riddle. Maybe it was a clue on what button to switch to open the closed gate.

"Welcome to your new home innocent one." Toriel said with a smile, "Allow me to educate you in the operation of The Ruins."

Toriel began to walk across the buttons on the floor! Everytime she pushed one it sunk into the ground and made some kind of clicking noise. She walked across every button, except the ones that pointed to the switch on the wall! After she walked across all of the buttons, the flipped the switch. With a load clicking noise, the gate opened.

"The Ruins are full of puzzles." Toriel began to explain, "Ancient fusions between diversions and doorkeys. One must solve them to move from room to room. Please adjust yourself to the sight of them."

Toriel then moved on toward the next room. Sam felt a little bit confused about what just happened. The entire Ruins is filled with switches and buttons like these? It kind of felt a bit troublesome, but they understood that it could also be a security measure. With a bunch of puzzles and traps, nobody will ever want to bother you. So they decided to enter the next room right behind Toriel.

This next room was sinifigantly larger than the previous ones. It seems like they have entered the ruins. The room has two deep streams that would not be pleasant to step in. Above the little streams of water are small bridges, so your feet dont get wet. Toriel decided to block off the second bridge by standing in front of it.

"To make progress here, you will need to trigger several switches. Do not worry, I have labelled the ones that you need to flip." Toriel said with a smile.

Seeing as there is nothing else to do, Sam decided to walk across the first bridge and flip the switch with a bunch of arrows pointing to it. Since as that was the most obvious choice. It even had a little message next to it! "Please Press this switch -Toriel". One would be crazy not to understand such simple instructions.

After flipping the first switch, Toriel walked from the bridge to two spikes blocking the path to the next room. Sam decided to follow after her. Toriel then told them to press the switch on the left of the new wall. Sam was curious, so he decided to disobey and press the switch on the right instead.

"No no no!" Toriel gasped out, "You want to flip the OTHER switch, i even labelled it for you..."

Looking more closely at the switch on the left, it was indeed labelled. With a similar message as the first one. "Please press this switch too! -Toriel". Sam decided to finally flip the right switch to get the puzzle over with. 

"Splendid!" Toriel Cheers excitedly, "I am proud of you little one, let us move to the next room."

So, of course Sam moves into the next room. Its almost routine now. New room, Puzzle then next room. The Ruins seemed simple enough to understand. This next room was about the same size as the one with the buttons on the floor. But instead, there was simply a stuffed dummy standing about.

"As a human living in the Underground, monsters may attack you." Toriel explained, "You will need to be prepared for this situation. Worry not, the process is simple! When you encounter a monster, you will enter a FIGHT. While you are in a FIGHT, strike up a friendly conversation. Stall for time, i will come to resolve the conflict. Practice talking to the dummy."

Toriel then moves to block the way toward the next room. Sam had no choice but to take a few steps forward and encounter the dummy. When they encountered the dummy, their red soul flickered to life and placed itself upon Sam's chest. Transparent buttons flew infront of Sam's hands. Kind of like when they saved in front of the Ruins. The Underground seems to be pure magic.

The buttons were: FIGHT, ACT, ITEM & MERCY. It seems like the power is now in their control. They decided to raise their stick and poke the hovering ACT button. But before they decided to ACT and speak with the dummy, Sam remembered the flower. Flowey the flower said this world was kill or be killed. Shouldn't it be more reasonable to FIGHT this weak dummy instead? 

They pushed the FIGHT button and slashed their Stick at the dummy, destroying it with one blow. The dummy dissolved into white dust as Sam's soul returned into their body. Toriel seemed a bit sad of this choice of action. 

"The dummies are not for fighting! They are for talking!" Toriel explains with a look of worry on her face. "We do not want to hurt anybody, do we...? Come on now."

As Toriel turns around and enters the next room, Sam thinks to themselves. If its kill or be killed down here, who is there to trust? Everybody must be moved if they get in the way of escaping, right? There has to be a way out of the underground, and Sam is determined to find it. With that, they follow behind Toriel.

This next room seemed to be huge! The rooms must be getting bigger as the Ruins goes on. One side of the room has some strange path's on the floor. The other side of the room is behind a wall so Sam could not see it at the moment. But, we can assume it's as big as this left side of the room. Toriel quickly explains that the next puzzle is on the other side of the room.

"There is another puzzle in this room, i wonder if you can solve it?" Toriel says as she walks off toward the other side of the room.

Sam quickly follows behind Toriel toward the other side of the room. Eager to solve this next puzzle. Is it More Buttons and switches? More dummies up ahead? Or maybe something brand new? Sam didn't get to think of all the possibilities right away, because their soul began to flicker back to life as a monster hiding from the shadows jumped forth!

The floating buttons instantly sprang to life in front of Sam's fingertips as the monster prepared its attack. The monster was a Froggit. Froggit's seem to be some kind of frog-like creature. But you can almost swear to see blinking eyes nearby its feet. So maybe its some sort of disguise? There's no time to see what kind of monster the Froggit is though, this is a FIGHT. You cant let your guard down in a fight, you may die. So gripping their stick with one hand, and raising the other. Sam slams down hard on the FIGHT button and leaps at the opposing foe.