Chapter 35

Sirius Black studies Harry’s face keenly. Harry draws his wand,

“If you want to kill Harry,” said Hermione.

“You’ll have to kill us too, Mr. Black!” I said.

“No. Only one will die tonight, and it’s been a long time since anyone ever call me Mr. Black,” Sirius smile creeply.

“Then it’ll be you,” said Harry.

“Harry! No!” said Hermione.

Sirius wheels toward the door. Harry eyes Sirius, wand hand shaking violently. As Sirius turns back, he stops, regards Harry cautiously.

“Going to kill me Harry?” Sirius said

“Yes,” said Harry.

“Harry, you’re not a killer,” I said.

“Yeah, listen to the young lady, you’re not a killer,” said Lupin suddenly appear in the room

“Professor Lupin!” we said together. But Lupin ignores us, eyeing Black intensely.

“Looking bit ragged, aren’t we, Sirius? Finally the skin reflects the madness within,” said Lupin.

“You’d know all about the madness within, wouldn’t you Remus?” said Sirius.

Two of them regard each other, the moment taut with tension then Lupin steps forward and embraces Sirius like a brother.

“Professor what are you doing?” I asked confusedly.

“No! I trusted you! I covered up for you. And all this time you’ve been his friend,” said Hermione

“Hermione what are you talking about?” I asked. Everything is confusing here.

“He’s a werewolf! That’s why he’s been missing classes!” said Hermione.

Harry, Ron, and I dumbfounded at Lupin. Lupin eyes Hermione.

“How long have you known?” asked Lupin.

“Since Professor Snape set the essay,” said Hermione.

“You’re the brightest witch of your age I’ve ever met Hermione,” said Lupin.

“Yes, you glow like the sun. And you howl at the moon. Enough talk! He dies. If you won’t do it with me, Remus, I’ll do it alone,” said Sirius.

“Wait Sirius,” said Lupin.

“I did my waiting, twelve years of it! In azkaban! Trust me, you wouldn’t have lasted a week,” said Sirius.

Lupin eyes Sirius, then nods.

“All right then. As you wish...” said Lupin.

“No!” I yelled.

Harry raises his wand when Lupin wheels and with a flick of his own, disarms him. Furious, Harry eyes Black murderously.

“You betrayed my parents! You sold them to Voldemort!” said Harry.

“It’s a lie! I never would’ve betrayed James and Lily!” said Sirius.

What? He knows Harry’s parents, I said in my mind.

“Harry! You’ve got to listen...” said Lupin.

“Did he listen! When my mother was dying! Did he hear her screaming!” said Harry.

“No! I wasn’t there! And I’ll regret it the rest of my life!” said Sirius. Harry’s eyes flash to Sirius’s, glittering with pain.

“Someone else betrayed your parents Harry. Someone in thhis room right now. Someone who, until quiet recently, I believed to be dead,” said Lupin.

“He’s as good as dead,” said Sirius.

“What are you talking about?” I asked.

“There’s nobody here,” said Harry.

“Oh yes there is...,” said Sirius then he turns to Ron and croons in a cruel sing a song, “Come out, come out Peter. Come out come out and play,” Ron draws back from Black’s demented gaze

“You’re mad,” said Ron.

Harry’s eyes shift from Ron’s face to his hands, where Scabers twists violently. As curious expression befalls Harry, Lupin, and Sirius, as one, raise their wand, when someone else coming

“Who is it now?” I asked. Then we see Professor Snape.