Chapter 34: Stalkers

Start from the beginning

Jero shook his head. "We deserve to know either way."

Kashi shrugged. "I warned you." He pulled the parchment out from his inventory and tossed it to Jero. "It's a letter sent from a man you know vaguely. His name is Absalon, and he was recently—"

"Voted Mayer of Kerta. Yeah, I've 'eard of 'im," Hektor finished.

Jero's brows furrowed as he read the letter. He violently squeezed the parchment and questioned with barely contained rage, "Is this real!?"

Iason raised a brow in surprise at his friend's tone. "Let me see that," he said and took the parchment from Jero. Iason proceeded to read the contents, and his brows furrowed deeper with every line he read.

"It is," Kashi confirmed. "I thought it odd he rose to power so fast. I wrongly assumed he had just pilfered his guild members' Fame points and money."

"He made a deal with the bandits?!" Iason cried and nearly ripped the paper to shreds, but, luckily, Paris took it out of his hands before the brute had his way.

"It seems the previous mayor did the same. As long as the law turned a blind eye, the bandits would pay them handsomely," Kashi said. He folded his arms and rested against the mast.

"Then, it was not that they could not send us aid..." Narkis said.

"They simply refused to," Alex finished.

"Why would you think of hiding this?" Iason asked, barely managing to contain the disappointment and anger in his voice.

Kashi sighed and shook his head. "Imagine what would happen if this was made known to everyone."

"Chaos..." Jero mumbled.

"Yes. At the very worst it might erupt into a civil war," Kashi proposed. "The only ones who would gain from that are the bandits."

Collective gasps echoed across the deck as realization dawned. All except Paris, whose eyes revealed admiration and curiosity as they examined the daeben. Unlike the others, it was apparent he was not surprised by Kashi's suggestion.

Iason gaped as he considered the daeben's words. "You thought that far ahead once you saw that letter?"

"Something like that," replied Kashi, avoiding eye contact.

"If you do not want us to speak of it, then what do you propose we do?" Paris asked.

"Nothing." At their shocked and horrified expressions, Kashi added, "For the meantime. Our current course is much more productive. The time will come when we face him, but it is not now."

Jero shook his head as the corner of his lips rose in a wry smile. "As you wish."

Kashi strolled over to the wheel. "Raise the gangplank. It's time we set off."

"We heading for Graena next?" Jero asked as he and Iason pulled the gangplank onto the deck while Hektor raised the anchor.

"No," Kashi said as he looked down the river. "Our target is Norcha."

The deck went deathly silent as six pairs of eyes turned to him. "Norcha? T-that's a fort!"

Kashi grinned. His eyes gleamed as the sails caught the wind and guided the ship onto the river. "I know..."

"