Chapter Thirty Two

Darkness engulfs me and a buzzing fills my ears. Tingles shoot through my palms, slowly receding into the tips of my fingers. A weight slowly lifts off of my chest, leaving it feeling light and free. I wiggle my toes and fingers, admiring the sensation of air shifting over bare skin. I pause and take stock of my body, reveling in the peaceful cloud-like state I am suspended in.

Sound slowly starts to filter in and I wrinkle my nose, trying to discern what is happening around me. I blink my eyes open carefully, wincing as bright light blinds me. Hazy images begin to take shape and I blink again, trying to bring them into focus.

I stare in amazement at the room around me. A small cabin room adorned with simplistic decoration and furniture -- nothing special. Yet everything stands out in pops of color and intrinsic detail. My eyes zoom around the room, focusing on specks of dust illuminated by the setting sun filtering through the window, or the web of cracks climbing up the walls. My head swivels on the pillow it rests on, curiously seeking out new features of the room-- pausing when I come across fascinating things.

A light glints out of the corner of my eye and my head turns sharply. If I had any breath in my lungs, it would have come out in a whoosh. A beautiful girl lies next to me, red eyes staring intently back. I move quickly into a sitting position, watching warily as the girl does the same. I stand slowly and make my way towards her, tilting my head in curiosity as she copies every movement. My hand reaches out to make contact with hers, but instead brushes against a cool, flat surface. I shake my head slowly in disbelief.

"No, this isn't me. This can't be me." I whisper, eyes tracing across perfect, symmetrical features and piercing red eyes I was all too familiar with in the castle.

Those are the eyes of murderers.

My chest tightens as I recall Vladimir hovering above me, and the burning fire that quickly followed, engulfing every part of me. I shut my eyes, not wanting to see the red that marks me as a monster. A sudden thought strikes me and my eyes fly back open.

The boys! They are alive! My joy is short-lived as I remember my predicament. They obviously didn't want to stick around -- not now that their so called mate is a filthy bloodsucker.

The absence of the bond I was quickly becoming accustomed to, sends a pang through the place that my heart once existed. Before I can dwell on the pain any longer, a sound echoes behind me. I spin around quickly, pressing my back against the wall and crouching defensively in anticipation of an attack.

Bella stands calmly in front of me, hands lifted in a sign of surrender. My eyes dart to where Edward stands closely behind her, arms crossed and golden eyes calculating and cautious.

"Sang?" Bella whispers, taking a small step forward. Edward mirrors her movements, watching her with concern and love. Another pang shoots through my empty chest at that look that I so desperately desire from my boys.

"Sang, how are you doing?" My eyes dart back to Bella as her quiet voice echoes in the room. I consider the question. How am I doing?

Well, I'm a bloodsucking monster whose mates want nothing to do with her anymore. I'm just fucking dandy.

A frown marrs my lips and I stay silent. Bella opens her mouth to say more, when she is suddenly pushed aside. My eyes widen as Alice comes barreling towards me with a large grin.

"Welcome to the family! You're so beautiful, look at you!" She squeals. "And just my size, I can't wait to go shopping."

I freeze as she tackles me in a hug, mumbling happily to herself about numerous products and stores that she can't wait to go to. I blink quickly to rid myself of the image of Gabriel doing the exact same when he learned about my lack of wardrobe.