Chapter Ten

A/N  I was going to wait at least a few more days to post, but you guys make me feel guilty! Enjoy!

I open and close my mouth a couple of times, not sure how to proceed.

"Well?" Gabriel is practically bouncing in his seat in anticipation. I sigh.

"Well, eventually I learned it was because I was to be his bride." I say quietly, holding my breath for the reactions I was sure to get.

Silence.

I look up to see that Gabriel, as well as just about everyone else, is frozen in their seat just staring. I swallow and cringe when it sounds loud in the deafening quiet. Then all at once chaos breaks out.

"What the fuck was that sicko thinking?!"

"That damn leech! I'll kill him!"

"Mother fucker shit damn fuck!"

"That's disgusting, he practically raised you!" Nathan shouts out.

"That's the point." I say, shaking my head. Everyone quiets down immediately.

"What do you mean Ms. Sang?" Mr. Blackbourne says, a small frown marring his face.

"Well, first let me explain the situation to you. Vladimir is an unusually powerful vampire because of his ambitions. He's building an army, but unlike any before, it's made up completely of gifted vampires. If you don't possess some kind of incredible gift, you don't make the cut. He searches the world for vamps like this to join him." I pause, tilting my head towards the Edward.

"Honestly I'm surprised he never found you or Alice." They look at each other with wide eyes. Carlisle crosses his arms, leaning back with a contemplative look on his face.

"When I worked alongside the Volturi centuries ago, Vladimir was just starting to become a problem. They underestimated him, however, and let him be for the time being. They never could have foretold how quickly he would develop his army of gifted individuals. By the time he appeared back on their radar, he had a massive, trained army of gifted vampires." He pauses and lets out a weary sigh. "Truth be told, the Volturi were terrified. They would never admit to it, of course, but if it were to come to war with Vladimir, they would have the distinct disadvantage."

"Yes, when Vlad talked about the Volturi, he always seemed overly confident of his dominance over them." I say, nodding at Carlisle. The Cullens appear absolutely terrified by this, but I can tell the boys are still stuck on the whole child bride of Dracula thing.

"The downside of having an army of gifted vampires was the fact that they often had a mind of their own. They quickly became aware of Vladimir's unpredictable, and often volatile nature, and knew that it would one day get them all killed. They created an ultimatum for Vlad: either he found a co-ruler that would hopefully tame his rash nature, or they all walked." I remember when I found all of this out. Of course Vladimir hadn't been the one to tell me. It had been housekeepers, or different professors that had taken a liking to me during the summers at the castle. I had figured out the rest on my own.

"Vladimir agreed under the condition that they would give him 10 years to find an adequate bride. But instead of using the time to find a bride that matched his standards, he made one." I hold up my hand to stop the protests and comments emerging from the guys.

"He got a teaching position to scope out young girls that he could work with. He started as young as possible so he could mold and shape one into the perfect bride -- someone who wouldn't interfere with his plans, but would act as a figurehead for his troops. I was just the unfortunate soul he chose." I sit back in my seat, feeling lighter than I have in years. Who knew it would feel so good getting all of that out?